Friday, April 01, 2011

I Couldn't Stay Away

Well, if I want to get paid, I couldn't stay away. I still do not feel 100%, but so much time, so little to do. Strike that. Reverse it. (Remember that quote from the original Willy Wonka movie with Gene Wilder?) Anyway, I am in the office today, and so, you get another Clarity of Vision cartoon.

Yes, it's April Fool's Day. I researched the origin and found that no one really knows. Today's desk calendar asks "What was the famous Swiss spaghetti hoax perpetrated in England on BBC on April Fool's Day in 1957?" Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (Remember that quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off with Matthew Broderick?) Anyway, it was a bogus news report that showed a Swiss family harvesting spaghetti from a tree while a respected newscaster explained that Switzerland had a bumper crop of pasta thanks to a mild winter and the 'virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil.'

You know, one nice thing about paying bills online is that you can do so on the day it is due and still be on-time. In the old days (as long ago as 2009, I think), it would be a couple of days late if you had to pay via snail mail. What made me think of that? Our utility bill is due today and I need to pay it online.

Did I mention I had a dentist appointment the other day? Yeah, I am cleared for another six months. However, to any of you that have dentures, my dentist did say they that, especially after age 70 or so, they should have their gums checked once a year to make sure there is no disease or retreating. Come on. You know who you are.

We are supposed to reach 98F today. That is too warm too early in the year. Luckily, we are on the utility company's Time of Use plan where the rates are reduced during off-peak hours. Right now, 5am-9am, 5pm-9pm are peak and the rest and all weekends are off-peak. So, I can cool the house up until 5pm and the evenings don't get too hot. I also run the pool pump during off-peak and we usually do laundry on weekends.

No, I have not finished my taxes yet. I worked on them just a little yesterday, but wasn't really concentrating, so I thought I should wait. I did enter some details about a donation to Goodwill of 11 bags of clothes. That's right. 11 bags. After using itsdeductible in TurboTax, we got a much larger deduction for the clothes than I would have chosen without the tool. Nice. Good for them (lots of clothes they can resell) and good for us (nice deduction). Just think how much the disciples could have deducted for the 12 leftover baskets of food from the loaves and fishes?

What's up for your weekend? I think we don't have big plans, so hopefully, I can finish the taxes and get those submitted. I'm sure we'll catch brunch. Oh, so, I talked to a waitress at our place who takes orders, but never writes them down. She said that she can handle the orders for up to 10 people before she needs to write anything down. Most who do something like that choose a characteristic of the person to help them link facts in their mind. I asked her what she uses for us. She said, "Oh, you're the Texas couple." Then, from two weeks before, she told me Kathie's order and was correct, even down to some substitutions that she always wants. She did not know mine because she said I don't always order the same items.

Look, I was out yesterday and am already way behind for the week. I need to get started and finish a lot before I get my weekend on. You should do your stuff, too, and let's finish the workweek with a bang. See you next week.

1 comment:

Lindsay Ward said...

i never wrote anything down when I was a server (politically correct term) unless there were like 12 or more people. sometimes I would be at the computer and not remember an order and have to go look at the person's face to remember. So I didn't really "pick" a characteristic but I guess I did associate it with the person.