Friday, August 23, 2013

I Hope Jack is Well

We are scheduled to keep the GRANDS tonight, but I know Jack was sick earlier in the week. I hope he is well enough to stay. We don't really have anything specific planned except some swimming. There is a chance of rain, but as long as there is no lightning, we can still use the pool. After all, we are going to get wet anyway.

Yes, there is an actual conference room on one of our floors called Flamingo.












Have you ever been geocaching? You use GPS coordinates to find a hidden item or place. Now, it looks like a game has incorporated similar elements. Sounds cool...if you have an Android smartphone. I don't.

Do you remember a cartoon program from the early 90s called Animaniacs? They were a totally crazy group who did parodies of music, TV, movies. I am not sure what made me think of that show, but I do remember an excellent take off of Les Miserables. If you haven't seen it, watch Les Miseranimals.

I am watching Face Off as I write this on Thursday night. They are doing Frankenstein-inspired creatures tonight (tonight being when I watch, not necessarily when it was recorded).

Have you ever eaten dragon fruit? It's a lot like kiwi (the fruit, not the people where NZ Niece is living), but a bit milder tasting. Anyway, I saw one at Whole Foods and decided to try it. I like it.

Let me give you an update on my ever-so-much-fun vegan diet. I decided to use fatsecret.com to make sure I am getting enough protein. So, I started my journal on Wednesday and so far, my numbers look....OK. Wednesday - 43g protein, 101g sugar. Thursday - 53g protein, 162g sugar. I need to get over 65g protein and my sugars down below 60g. True, it is not as bad as it could be since mine are all from fruit. I just need to increase my veggie intake. Remember, my goal is to get off the cholesterol pills and reduce the buildup of plaque in my arteries. Yes, it is possible. read this quote from Dr. Esselstyn's website.

Drop in cholesterol levels: After 5 years on Dr. Esselstyn’s plant-based diet, the average total cholesterol levels of his research group dropped from 246 milligrams per deciliter to 137 mg/dL (Above 240 mg/dL is considered “high risk,” below 150 mg/dL is the total cholesterol level seen in cultures where heart disease is essentially nonexistent.) This is the most profound drop in cholesterol ever documented in the medical literature in a study of this type.

Cardiac events: The 17 patients in the study had 49 cardiac events in the years leading up to the study, and had undergone aggressive treatment procedures. Several had multiple bypass operations. After beginning the eating plan, there were no more cardiac events in the group within a 12-year period.

Angiogram evidence: Angiograms taken of the participants in the study show a widening of the coronary arteries, and thus a reversal of the disease.

I brought in my kale salad and California quinoa for lunch. That's better from a vegetable point of view. Of course, I also have my fruit...apple, orange, cherries, grapes, blueberries...you know, those fruits with high sugar. Give me a break. I am still in the transition period from the Standard American Diet.

And with that, I will bid you adieu. Now, unless you see my bid and raise me, we will end this week and head into the weekend. We pick up the GRANDS in about 12 hours, so I'd better rest all day to be ready for their energy. I'm not as young as I used to be (there's a dumb statement, right?).

No comments: