Monday, May 02, 2011

Dream On

First, let's take a look at today's Clarity of Vision.Now, I will admit that most (probably including me) think of Aerosmith when they hear the song title "Dream On." However, I am also reminded of the Gaither Vocal Band song of the same name (from the New Point of View album). Ah, that was back in their pre-Southern-Gospel phase. I really liked the early stuff.

I got a text from my son over the weekend. He texted "Welcome to the future." OK, so we were either in some kind of Back to the Future remake, or we upgraded our cell phones to QWERTY-keyboard models and added texting to our plan. I will let you decide which is more likely. However, my daughter commented that he should have texted "Welcome to the past" since regular texting is now so passe and we should have gone with smartphones. Whatever. Maybe in a few years. My main reason for not doing so is that I did not want to add $30/month to the cost of our plan.

Yesterday's concert went very nice, although we were a few minutes late. I was waiting for Dad to pick me up and he was waiting for me to come by for a ride. As we entered the church, the director was just announcing the first song, so he told the congregation to welcome us and asked that we walk down the middle aisle and join them for the first song.

The cool weekend was refreshing, especially in the face of reaching 103F by the middle of next week. I hope all of you took advantage of it.

No comments yet from the team about the training that I spent last week completing. So, I have not yet scheduled management training in case I missed something or was not clear in some explanations. I also did not include speaking notes. So, how do I interpret their silence? I am not sure, and that is why I did not schedule the classes yet, even though my managers wanted the classes scheduled for this week.

We saw The Lincoln Lawyer this weekend. We really enjoyed it. You should go see it. Go on. I'll wait.

I suppose I should start writing the speaking notes for the slides. I expect that I will be doing the training, so the notes are more for when someone else reviews the deck than for my class. I did spend way too much time animating the slides so that each point comes flying in from the left to help draw their eyes to the appropriate screen shot.

Listen, you guys should go flying our to the right so you don't get hit by the flying text. I'll count to three and you hurry out. I'll distract them on the left. Until tomorrow, then.

2 comments:

Craig Weeks said...

I don't know who your cell phone service provider is, but it is no end of annoyance to me that AT&T *forces* smart phone customers to buy a data plan. Hello?! I'm one of those customers who would be glad to block *all* Internet access from such a phone for the sum of $0/month. It's proof that there is not enough competition in this market when the seller can dictate to the buyer this way. And I don't see things moving toward a more customer-friendly environment any time soon.

In the interest of fairness I am willing to recognize that the actual cost of the handset is heavily subsidized by the service providers and this may be necessary in order to offset this up front subsidy. But I still don't like it and there is a very good chance that it's going to cost them the very lucrative land line business I am giving them. That loss of revenue combined with the fact that it makes me more likely to abandon them as soon as I can adds up to a poor business decision on their part.

CrazyUncle said...

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Craig.

Anyway, I agree. I wouldn't mind a smartphone and some apps, but I could also do without the compulsive data plan required by Verizon. For now, though, I'll live with the texting phone.