Friday, August 05, 2016

Weird Stuff, Cool Stuff, Sad Stuff, Happy Stuff. This Post is Stuffed.

It's Friday, people. Whether you are still working or happily retired, the arrival of Friday should still bring some excitement into your heart. Maybe it is because you are off work for two days. Maybe because you generally see more family over the next couple of days. Or maybe because you know traffic will be lighter for the weekend. If I am being honest, I would have to say it is being off work for two days that is my reason for celebration.

Unfortunately, today's blog post also bring some sad news. Daughter-In-Love's paternal grandfather passed away this week. He was a kind, friendly man whom I have not seen in quite a while, but we did know him back when our kids were younger. It has been a long time since my last grandfather died, but I know it is a big loss to the grandkids. Please pray for her and the family in this difficult period.

Last night and again this morning, I scanned the news feeds looking for interesting tidbits to share, and came up empty both times. So, as usually happens on these days, I will reach into my magic bag of saved stories and links and see what I can find.

One story that showed up recently was about hackers that can hack into a Jeep even if it is traveling at a high rate of speed. That's scary, and I would imagine similar things are possible with almost any new car. They can make it speed up or turn sharply even while driving. That is why I am covering all my cars in aluminum foil. Who's in for that?

Rosamond Purcell. Need I say more? She is a photographer/artist whose work and life is the subject of a new film in NYC. I will not be seeing this film. Her work just doesn't speak to me. Maybe you will like it more. Here are a few examples. First is this shot of a horse statuette and some old books.

















Another example is an old book somewhat eaten away by termites.
























I will end this exhibition with an animal skeleton in front of some old-looking calligraphy.
























One interesting article I saved from a couple of days ago is about the blue screen special effects in 'Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back.' The video is only 10 minutes long, so enjoy.

And this story from Monday is about one of those artists that create drawings that look 3D from the correct perspective. This dude is pretty, pretty good.





















Check out this Coke can.


















Another from the Nailed It category. This guy wanted to create a bear pancake, but his result looks like he was attacked by the bear during the cooking process. It looks like something I would cook.

















For photos from my collection, I am actually going to fist share two photos I found on the interweb. The first is the Atlas Mine and Stamp Mill in Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray, CO, as it appeared around 1900 when it was a working mine. Of course, I don't remember this since I was very young.
























I then found a shot of the ruins from 2009.


















And I will end with a photo I took last month of the ruins as we entered Yankee Boy. It doesn't look like much has changed in the last 7 years.
















Before we go, let me add one thing. MBH and I have reached 40 years together and it is even better now than it was back then. Thanks for loving me through all the good and bad, Dear.
























Time is up. Hands in the air. Step away from the computer. Let's end this week now (for me, I actually still have the workday in front of me, but I meant end the week as far as blogging is concerned). I hope you have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Wow! That blue screen process is far more complex than I ever imagined! Thanks for sharing.