Friday, August 12, 2016

Vacation Memories, Vacation Photos, and Nothing Else

The other day, I was talking to IT Sis about great vacations of the past and our memories of them. One of the ones she mentioned involved her family, the folks, and my kids (but not me or MBH). They traveled up the California coast in multiple vehicles and she was remembering that Salesman Son was king of that vacation because he had his CDs with him (and he had a BUNCH) and would dole them out to his cousins for concessions. "You can listen to this CD if you let me have the entire backseat", etc. I was in Mexico at that time, but all the kids that went really enjoyed it and now, enjoy retelling those tales.

What got me thinking of vacation stories today, though, was hearing George Harrison's song, "Got My Mind Set on You." On one vacation, and it could have been the one through Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore, IT Sis sang a version of it about the relentless pace of that vacation. We had a lot of miles to cover and not too long to complete the trip. Her version was entitled, "Why Won't This Man Let Us Rest?" We had a lot of fun sharing that song back and forth using walkie-talkies between our cars.

And as I have stated often, I want to build those same types of precious memories in the kids and grandkids, and I think we are doing that. So, let's look at some snapshots from this year. We'll start with a shot of the state flower of Colorado, the Columbine.
















Next, a look at the Twin Falls in Yankee Boy Basin. This one used the shutter speed chosen by the camera, so the water movement is frozen.
















I tried the same shot with a slower shutter speed to blur the water movement. Which do you prefer?
















And further down Sneffels Creek there in Yankee Boy is a lower falls area. Here, you can see Preacher Bro setting up for a shot. I don't remember having stopped at this before, but Dad assures me that he has. Of course, after 30 years vacationing in the same area, it would be amazing to find many things that he hasn't done.
















Somebody besides me came in to work early today, and we ended up talking, so I have already run out of time. I hope these memories and photos will carry you through the weekend. My weekend starts off tonight with the GRANDS staying over. I expect that means we'll be doing some swimming and some McDonald's. Maybe GRAND#1 and I will go fly the drone tomorrow? You never know.

Have a good Friday, my friends. Just a little longer and we can start the weekend de-stress. We can make it, I promise.

No comments: