Monday, August 08, 2016

Texas Red WAS An Ornery Old Cuss

This first entry in today's blog post is being written on Saturday morning. I was looking through my email and found an New York Times (NYT) email about travel. It included the following teaser:
























So what, you may wonder? No, I am not thinking of a trip to Montana (although that would probably be cool). It is more about some memories that the headline evoked. Reading about 'fishing' and 'a river still runs through it' brought to mind summer vacations in Red River, NM, just a few years ago. Yes, a river does run through that town. Curiously, it is the Red River. So, we would rent or bring in fishing poles and use some kind of red-colored fish eggs as bait. The downtown area and river were just down the hill from the cabin we would rent. I am not much of a fisherman, but these memories are so strong that I know the experience made an impact on me.

And now that I am thinking of Red River, I am also reminded of us kids in the family being excited about laundry. What!?! Well, Dad did most of the laundry while he gave us money to play the pinball games there in the laundromat. And in the square pictured below, they held a daily 'shoot-out' which included the proclamation, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Texas Red was an ornery old cuss."














I hope that I am building these same types of positive life-long memories in my kids and grandkids lives. Our trips together have included the UK (well, for the kids), Ouray, NYC, Walt Disney World, San Francisco, Pinetop, Disneyland (many, many times).

Today's Really Bad Joke or Pun:
What did the pirate say on his 80th birthday?
“Aye, matey!” (“I'm eighty!”)

And today's 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said:
If it [the Yankees’ poor pitching] doesn’t stop, it’s going to continue.
sportscaster John Kruk

Let's read the small print on this pair of pants:



















Here's a clever sign from a Rita's Ice Cream Custard Shop:
























I had to think about this funny pic. How quickly did you get it?
























I stopped by the folks' house yesterday and he showed me some of the video he is working on of our family reunion. It is coming along quite well, with a number of mixed videos and still shots. It will be a fun way to remember the summer.

I also stopped by the drone park to fly my drone for the first time since the reunion. It looks like the plan to lower the quality of the video from 4096x2160 down to 1920x1080p. The first videos seemed like sometimes, the feed was too jerky. After looking at the test video from yesterday, these do look like they may have fixed the problem. That's good.

Check out this inanimate object face:





















Oh, we had a quiet anniversary weekend. However, we had already enjoyed our upcoming anniversary in recent trips to Orlando and NYC, so it balanced out. MBH is already thinking of where we should travel to next.

As you may have surmised, nothing today from the web search. Luckily, I still have some stuff queued up to share, plus I did get an idea from that NYT email. For now, though, this post is long enough and my time is up. No, not THAT time. I mean I need to get to work. I hope your weekend was nice and you are ready for the week. See you soon.

p.s. Did you figure out the photo of the birds from above and why I felt it was clever? The building notice said 'No Flyers' and none of the birds pictured can fly.

No comments: