Thursday, August 11, 2016

2,168 Year Old Record Broken... Well, It Was Tied, At Least For Now

Did you decide to watch any of the Olympics? I stayed up a few minutes last night to watch the USA women win the 800 freestyle relay. So now, Katie Ledecky has 3 gold medals. True, that pales next to Phelps' count, but he has been in 5 Olympics and this is only her 3rd. However impressive Katie is looking, she has a long way to go to join one elite group that Michael Phelps is part of. It seem that he tied a 2,168-year-old Olympic record. The Encyclopedia of the Modern Olympic Movement confirms that Leonidas’s 12 wins (he was awarded wreaths, not medals), is an Olympic record, ancient or modern. Well, it was his Olympic record for a couple millennia-plus. Michael Phelps has tied him, and has two more chances to surpass him: the 200m individual medley on Thursday, and the 100m butterfly on Friday. Crazy.

Maybe I have become too picky? Or maybe there really is a dearth of stories that I feel would be fun to share. In any case, I have not found anything worthwhile in my whirlwind tour of the WWW this morning. And I scanned last night and also came up empty. It stinks. If this keeps up, I could also run out of stuff in my 'keep for possible blogging' archives.

OK, from the funny pics file, I find a few things I can share. First, a 'punny' photo:
























Next, a food reference. No wait, it's more of a music reference:


















And this one is something that all of you parents could imagine is (or was, depending on their age) possible with your kids:



















And finally, this one took me a few minutes to find why it was included as a funny photo (hint: you've got to read all the quotes):
























Would you live in a mall? No, not because you could shop 100% of the time. I am actually talking about having apartments in an enclosed mall and living above some smaller boutique shops? Apparently, they have made that happen in Providence, and there is a 400-person waiting list to get in. It does look cool in the photos. You can see one shot below, but the article has a bunch of them. I think I would do it.















Remember the photos recommending that you read the small print? Here's a label that can help you name your baby.
























Have you been seeing stories suggesting that Trump might drop out before the election? Do you think this is likely, or even possible? Personally, I would be very surprised if it happened. I think that Trump truly believes he still leads in every way. And maybe he does. The electorate is notoriously fickle and I personally think both candidates are equally likely right now. I am scared of Hillary's deceitfulness, and scared of The Donald's jingoism and crassness. I don't know what I will do in November.

Did you hear that alarm? It means we made it to the end of today's blogging time. That means I need to turn my attention to work, and you can turn yours to whatever you were doing before this post interfered. Thanks for your time and attention, though. Without you, this would be me just writing stuff down for my own amusement. Sure, I'd do that anyway, but I do periodically check my reader count and I see y'all looking. OK, Thrilling Thursday is here. Friday eve. Let's make it a great one.

2 comments:

CrazyUncle said...

If you did not find the funny reason for the yearbook photo, read the last guy's comment.

Keith said...

Okay, I refreshed my screen and now your second (title-less) post is gone. What kind of trickery are you up to?