Thursday, August 04, 2016

Smiling Faces and Smiley Faces and LBJ With MLK, OK?

All this coverage about the Zika virus and its devastating effects on unborn children is sad and horrendous. I just read that Miami will soon begin spraying to reduce the mosquito population. That brought to mind trucks spraying for mosquitos in my youth, and us following along in the fog of the insecticide as the truck passed our neighborhood. Nowadays, I hope kids have more sense than to inhale that stuff. I wonder if it will cause physical problems as I age?

A Brazilian artist has made news recently by colorizing some famous black-and-white photos of decades past. Here is one of Teddy Roosevelt. This lady knows her Photoshop because I would never know it wasn't always in color.
























How about this one of the future Queen Elizabeth when she was a 14-year-old?
























We will end with President Lyndon Johnson meeting with civil rights leaders including MLK in the mid-1960s. Again, it amazes me that this was colorized and not originally taken in color.
















These next few pictures WERE taken in color. We will start with a shot I like of a nephew and his niece sitting on a rock near the place where we traditionally build our dam in Yankee Boy Basin.
























What were they looking at? I walked over to where they had been sitting and looked at Sneffels Creek as it winds its way down the mountain It IS a nice view, isn't it? Mount Sneffels (14,157 ft. One of the famous Colorado 14ers)  is just to the right of this photo, although I don't think you can see it from the bottom of the basin.
























Nearby, Architect Bro had set up a folding chair to relax and watch the craziness of the reunion. However, he was soon buried under an avalanche of kids and grandkids.
























Finally (for today, anyway), here is a nice shot of the folks and their kids and spouses, also sitting on that same rock. Yes, we get a lot of mileage out of that spot every visit.
















Probably, you have heard about the crazy dude who jumped from an airplane at 25,000 ft without a parachute or wing suit ... on purpose. His target was a 100x100ft net. He hit it perfectly and later described the event, saying "I'm almost levitating, it's incredible."

Something no one has been asking for, but that you will totally love, is a trailer for the movie 'Meet the Parents' recut to look like a thriller. It is hilarious. It totally looks like this is a suspense movie.

Do you think this photo is real? It seems like it.




















Do you know what I did last night? No work. Yup, I needed to destress a bit. It felt weird, but nice.

Knowing cats, I am sure this one IS real.
























Oops, I am three minutes over my self-allotted time for blogging. That means I need to tie things up and publish this puppy, like, pronto. Like, four minutes ago. Again, no comic. Sorry. Have a Thrilling Thursday, my friends.

No comments: