Friday, January 17, 2014

Why? Is It Arbor Day?

Do you know what an arboretum is? According to the dictionary, in a narrow sense, it is a collection of tree only . More commonly, though, it refers to a botanical garden containing living collections of woody plants. We have a nice just east of town. Today's shots all come from a visit there a few years ago. By the way, Arbor Day is the last Friday in April. I had to look that up.

First is a picture of a small lake done up in HDR style.


















Back behind this lake is a farm setting with a windmill. I am always drawn to try and capture a feeling from there of an abandoned homestead. I haven't gotten it yet.























There are also flowering plants on the property. Here's an example.























Yesterday, someone at work asked if I had been stopped for speeding during my commute. I explained that the comic I shared was from 2009, but even then, I had not been stopped when I wrote it.






















I found this article about the use of the Monopoly game during WWII pretty interesting.

I suppose most of you heard that the actor who played the Professor on Gilligan's Island died yesterday. Russell Johnson once gave an interview talking about how his character could probably build a nuclear reactor with coconuts, but couldn't patch the hole in the Minnow. Anyway, it so happens that TV Land will be airing 12 hours of Gilligan's Island on Monday, MLK Day. I may have to check out an episode or two. Maybe the one where they put on an opera. Here is an article with some of the songs.

This recipe looks like it could become an option for breakfast bars for those of us eating vegan. I will have to talk to my chef, LMW, and see what she thinks. The article calls it bread, but I think this is stretching it.

You will likely not hear from me on Monday as I will not be working. You may well ask, "How is that different from any other day?" That is fair, and the answer is that Monday is a holiday for me and I am not expected to be working. Have a great weekend, friend and family. We will get together again on Tuesday.

No comments: