Thursday, January 23, 2014

Having Rail Good Memories Today

MBH and I went to an elder installation service at church last night. The pastor noted that, while that sounds mundane like installing an appliance, it is a new change for our church, adding some specific helpers to the church leadership while keeping the deacon body for extended ministries. I do not doubt it will be a challenging role and I pray that they can help the church focus on its mission and quiet some of the recent discord.

Dad and I were talking about this old railroad turntable the other day, and we even went so far as to pull out a map and search for it. It is in the back country behind Ouray, as seen in this photo from 2007. I wonder if it is still there.

















And here is a portion of the footings for the railroad that ran to the turntable.






















And this must be the point where the trail to those location takes off.

















And another fun place in the area is Lake Alta...really good for skipping stones. Do you say skipping or skimming (like Elton John sings about)?

















I had several railroad-related photos today. Did you catch that reference in today's title (substituting rail for real)? I am soooo clever.

Look over there to the right. No, not your right side. I meant look at the right side of the screen. See those different windows that will show you photos and things. The problem with that kind of stuff is that it can get stale unless you update it fairly frequently. However, since it is a separate action than updating the blog, many of us (me, for example) haven't updated those things in over a year. I need to do something about that. I don't know what, yet. Just remove them? Maybe. Create new ones and title them with date ranges so you can just check out new ones. I'll have to think about it.

I don't have any weblinks to share today, so let's knock off early. I'll be back in 24 hours or so.

No comments: