Thursday, July 02, 2009

Taking Care of Business (Health Care)

No, this is not a commentary of the benefits or drawbacks of universal health care. It is merely my warped take on not getting to pick my own physicians. I don't even want an HMO.
How is Dad doing? I don't know. I haven't talked to him since Sunday. Bad son.

How are grandgirls doing? I will see them tomorrow morning at the local public pool. Why don't they come to our pool? Two words. Slide. OK, maybe one word, but you know what I mean. And there are other people to watch. There might be a kiddie pool, although I have not been there in 20 years or so. I remember Sandy Lake was my favorite pool back in the DFW area. However, as I write this, I can remember a pool within biking distance at Webbs Chapel near Rawhide. That was where we spent many a summer. And there was another even closer by Valwood Elementary. Maybe it came along later?

Kyle is thinking we may want to take the girls to a fireworks display. Could be fun, if a bit on the warm side.

See, like I said yesterday, I think about vacation pictures when I am sitting at work. So, no, I did not work on them again last night. We are off tomorrow, so maybe I will think of it then.

Alison played Apples to Apples last weekend. Just as Susan noted a couple of months ago, it is a fun game. We took the Scrabble-based card game, Slam, with us on vacation. We tweaked it a bit to make it more of a strategy game (instead of everyone playing at once). When Kyle played it last weekend, he decided spelling was incidental to getting the cards down. If we challenged a word, he said, "Oh well. It's already played and past, so let's keep going." And for Father's Day, I got a train card game, although I cannot remember the actual name right now. We played it Saturday night, also. Kyle won. And Dad gave me a copy of Bang! the Bullet. Nice. A couple of weeks ago, we played Mom's word game that we gave her for her birthday (Maze Amaze, maybe?). Dad won. He shined a light off his bald head and blinded us. Well, that is how I remember it. He might also have outplayed us. I got stuck in a corner for several turns, no thanks to Paul and Kari.

5 comments:

Keith said...

Sandy Lake? Yeah, sometimes I miss the old days. I did a quick search--check out the comparisons.

Old:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txccarro/Schools/Carrollton/Yearbooks/1956/fullPageScans/pg_129.jpg
New:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DgFS58MXtP0/SdoYnZz0zFI/AAAAAAAADNw/Mk2gzGQ4cZQ/100_7896.JPG

Unknown said...

One word...RALF

Craig Weeks said...

Ok, I am just the geek to make those pool pitures easier to link to.

click here for Old
.
click here for New

Craig Weeks said...

"Piture", of course, is the way it is pronounced in ArkLaTex. It might as well be spelled that way, too.

SuzieQ said...

We have been playing Quiddler more than Apples to Apples these days, though it is still by far our favorite. Quiddler is a card game where you make words with cards. The first hand everyone gets 3 cards, the next hand is four up to the 8th round with 10 cards. You can make multiple words or a long one. Left overs count agains your score and there are two 10 point bonuses to earn. You can play a solitaire version too. Here is the online link for a daily game. Click on the "Online Daily Puzzle" link for this solitaire sample.
http://www.setgame.com/quiddler/index.html
Oh, and RALF...I don't think so :).