Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

Ah, today's title came from a song recorded by Kermit the Frog. I suppose it should really have been tweaked to say it's not easy thinking of funny 'green' ideas for CoV. Well, here's today's strip, somewhat inspired by Paul and Kari and their usage of cloth diapers for Audrey.

This past Sunday, our pastor was out after his car broke down in El Paso on a Saturday afternoon. So, one of the lay members spoke. He did very well, but it set me to wondering about Bible study habits. OK, so imagine that you are asked to speak in the worship service. How would you go about finding inspiration? Would you just open your Bible and hope God guided your eyes to the best scripture? Would you sit in quiet meditation hoping God will guide your thoughts? Would you stick your finger into a random spot and hope God would guide your finger? Would you read a Ted Dekker book and then preach about David and his army? While I cannot sit in true quiet meditation, I think I would be most likely to pursue that way.

Hey, I just remembered a Sunday School lesson we heard back in Lubbock (I am fairly certain it was there. Maybe Lewisville) from a lawyer. He took Paul's discourse on Mars Hill in Acts 17 and taught it from his unique viewpoint of how well it would stand up in today's legal environment. Unfortunately, I cannot remember specifics, but I do remember how powerful it was. What other professions could take a passage and evaluate it against their training? Maybe a doctor and the Crucifixion? Any you can think of?

1 comment:

SuzieQ said...

How about a scientist's sermon on creation? My uncle, a few weeks ago(filing in for our pastor), did a really great sermon on creation and backed it up with scienticfic data. He is not a scientist, but it was pretty cool.