Monday, September 08, 2014

Was It Necessarily So in 1935?

Have you seen the musical Porgy and Bess? The Gershwin Brothers wrote it in 1935. I may or may not mention something from that musical later in the post. Oh come on, you know I will or I would not have mentioned it. He he, unless I won't and I am just messing with you.

Morning sun coming in through the trees in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

















Family posing at the entrance to the park.























And here is Dad providing some scale as to how large these redwoods are. You can see the base on a fallen tree here. It must have been 30 ft in diameter.


















That concludes our photo sharing for the day. That does give you permission to leave the blog yet. I am sure I have more to share.

In fact, let's talk about eating healthy. How many of y'all go to farmer's markets for produce? Do you worry when you cannot find organic foods? Does it feel safer to buy from a local farm? Guess what? As the old song goes, "it ain't necessarily so". This story talks about local farmer's markets bringing in food from long distances away so they can compete with other farmers.

Do you remember, the other day, I shared a link about Ikea using digital content for their catalog. Did you check it out? Whether you did or not I have another Ikea-related link. Today's Ikea link is about the catalog being shared as if it were an Apple ad.

It has been a while since we talked about Queen Elizabeth II. I am not even sure we have EVER talked about her, but we will today. How do you think she feels about the possibility of Scotland becoming an independent country? You can probably guess, but this article shares what she is doing about it.

Oh man, the commute this morning was worse than horrible. No, maybe it was just horrible. Anyway, we had storms all night, and most of the major freeways were closed this morning due to flooding. I heard that on the news before I left, so I took surface streets. Well, SO DID EVERYONE ELSE. So, they started off crazy, and then, the outside lanes of many of those were flooded. My normal 17 min commute took 47 min. The rain is expected to continue for a couple of days, so let's buckle up out seatbelts, kiddies.

Speaking of rain all night...












And to accompany the last two items, listen to Leon Russell sing "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall".

Did DNA just identify Jack the Ripper? It seems like it.

Holy smoking Toledos is right. That would be so cool to see a volcano explode. I have always wanted to get over to Volcanos National Park. Someday, maybe. Anyway, this Australian dude happened to be filming Tavurvur Volcano just when it erupted.

Do you like Olive Garden? Would you pay $100 for 7 weeks of all-you-can-eat? That's just over $14 per week. If you ate there every day, that's only $2 per day. If that sounds interesting, you'd best get ready. there will only be 1,000 sold. And speaking of eating, I don't know about you, but I would certainly like to eat secret bacteria in my swiss cheese so that I knew it was official. And how about a blonde to go with that? No, I meant a blonde beer from Guinness.

I want to go stare out the window at the rain, so let's end today's post now. Thanks for spending a little time with me.

No comments: