Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Still Employed

OK, the big meeting went fine yesterday. I did walk out with six pages of To Do items, though. Most of them involve meetings and emails that I need to manage so we can reduce the total number of projects and requests. The slide presentation yesterday ended up being 110 pages long. And we covered about 100 of them. My 2pm meeting got cancelled. My 3pm meeting was held without an agenda and we just talked about the implications of the VP meeting. Today should be much calmer.

Nothing calms us down like a good laugh. Here is today's CoV. No, it is not a good laugh. I'm just saying nothing calms us down like one.
Yesterday was 84F, and today is 94F. If this trend continues, I do not want to be around by Thursday. Ha ha.

My boss is definite Mac bigot and he thinks I should get a MacBook instead of a new laptop. However, since so much of our corporate solutions are PC-based, I am not convinced. And I would have to use Mac Office, which is a bit less full-featured than regular MS Office. Many websites render differently. But I sure would like a Mac. Stay tuned.

My, how time flies. I need to get going on the agenda for today's 8:30am meeting, so I will leave you waiting expectantly for tomorrow's thrilling post.

3 comments:

Craig Weeks said...

Even though we've been owned by 3Com since before I started here 4 years ago, this place has always felt like an Austin start-up (in a good way). Those who wanted Macs for their productivity machines were welcome to have them ... and there are some beautiful machines scattered around here (disclaimer: I've never owned or used any flavor of Mac).

However, last Friday we all became H-P employees and all those Macs will be gone by the end of next month. I hope this change brings some of the good of a large organization (whatever that may be), because we already see some of the necessary evil (I understand the whole issue of support costs).

Keith said...

Gone? Can Randy buy one of those? Can Zachary? He never has enough computers? Can I?

Craig Weeks said...

Ah, Keith, the mysterious ways of the multi-national behemoth. Those Macs are not even available for purchase by employees. The word "recycling" has been bandied about. I don't explain it, I just report it.