Friday, May 07, 2010

Speaking of Downhill Slope

Let's start with today's Clarity of Vision. We all remember what a slippery slope Tiger was on for a while.
Also on a slope is Russell on Survivor. How much longer will he stay in the game? He has already lasted longer than I guessed that he would. Well, by May 16, we will know.

I admit that I have a selfish reason for wanting them to get a handle on the oil rig leak near the Louisiana coast. We will be there in just one month. Hopefully, the dome solution they are trying will at least control the leak. The only thing worse would be for them to run out of beignets at Cafe du Monde.

So, at Kyle's workplace, they have this cool device controlling the doors. It looks like a standard keypad, but they are clear keys with LEDs behind them. Once you press a Start button, the numbers appear in random locations on the pad. So, you may have a single code, but the keys are always in a different location. That way, no one can spy and memorize your code (unless they can actually view the numbers). However, the angle of the pad makes that unlikely. I thought it was neato.

No, I cannot stay and chat. I got caught up in email before I started today's CoV, so now, I have run out of time. I need to prepare my usual 8:30am Agenda, so I will say adieu. Adieu. To you and you and you.

1 comment:

Craig Weeks said...

Eons ago at IBM we had these security devices on our internal lab facilities (in addition to our employee badges that provided access to the building). These were ... ahem ... quaint. They were made up of 5 rocker switches. Press the top of the left on for "1". Press the bottom for "2" ... and so.

Once, during a corporate security audit (because that's what behemoths spend their money on) someone was able to decode the password by trying the various combinations for the switches that had visibly less dust on them. Kyle's employer seems have nailed that little vulnerability.