Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wednesday Waiting in the Wings

Today's shower song was "On My Own" by B.W. Stevenson. B.W., from Dallas, recorded it in 1973. I bought his first album after hearing "My Maria" on the radio. It's still pretty nice music.

It is Ash Wednesday. So, yesterday must have been Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras. I have never been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Have you? No, I do not feel that my life is any poorer for it.

Many people claim that bouldering is fun. Still, bouldering with a built-in video game? Even better. Check out this cool variation of rock climbing.














I have never been locked in a room like this poor girl in today's Page A Day calendar. "A businesswoman and her assistant went on a business trip together. It was the first time the young assistant had ever spent time away from home, much less in an expensive hotel. They checked in late at night and went straight to their rooms so they could get up for an early meeting. The next morning the businesswoman was waiting in the lobby for 20 minutes without any sign of her assistant. Growing impatient, she used a phone in the lobby to call up to her assistant's room.

The young woman answered the phone, crying, and said, 'I can't get out of the room!' 'Why not?' asked the businesswoman. The young assistant replied, 'There are only three doors in here. One is the bathroom, one is the closet, and one has a sign on it that says DO NOT DISTURB!'"

Coconut milk. Apparently, that's what an Australian blogger claims is the secret to great scrambled eggs instead of merely good ones. She claims the "result is still velvety and soft with an added boost of flavor: a mild sweetness -- which seems to bring out the flavor of the yolks -- and a delicious nutty kick to switch things up." As I often note when posting recipes or food-related articles, I will probably not remember to try this myself.

I did learn this morning that on the old Dragnet TV program in the 1950s, Joe Friday's badge number was 714. They chose that number to honor Babe Ruth's home run record. The LAPD retired that number after the death of Jack Webb, the actor who played Joe Friday.

How much would it cost to build a Star Destroyer? Bottom line, a Star Destroyer would cost $636 billion to build the parts on Earth, plus $44.4 trillion to get it all off Earth and to Mars. The author of the story gives all the particulars of how that cost was derived here.


















Did you know that Consumer Reports has a youtube channel? You can learn about the best way to vacuum thick carpets, the best treadmills, the best snow shovels, 12 steps to a better night's sleep, which humidifiers breed bacteria, a review of the Sham Wow, and so much more.

You know that I have choir practice on Tuesday nights. So, by the time I get home, I often do not work on the blog. That happened again last night. Top add some color to today's post, I am copying some art from a site and asking which of them would tempt you to purchase. The two entitled Soft Light remind me of a landscape or maybe a seascape. Earth Layers definitely look like landscapes.All the others are abstract, which is what my search criteria had been. For me, I think the second one in the top row, Piquant I, is most enticing. Piquant II and earth Layers II round out my top 3.

















Our company was just purchased by another and will become a private firm. What does that mean for jobs? No one knows for sure, but it does make me a little nervous. Overall, though, I think it will make the company stronger, letting us focus on being the best in our space without the pressure of stakeholder expectations.












That means Wednesday work is waiting  in the wings. I had best get to it. The work won't do itself. Make it wonderful today, y'all.

No comments: