Monday, February 22, 2016

Anniversary of the Miracle on Ice

Have you ever heard of the Miracle on Ice? For six of the previous seven years, the USSR had won the gold medal in Men's Ice Hockey in the Winter Olympics. However, on 2/22/80, something unexpected happened. The US beat them in the medal round, 4-3. It was pandemonium, I tell you. Or maybe we should call it 'fandemonium', because suddenly, the whole country was caught up in the frenzy. They went on to win gold from Finland later in the medal round. The U.S. and the Soviet Union next met at the Olympics at the 1988 games. The Soviets won the first round encounter 7-5. The Soviets when on to win the gold medal, while the U.S. placed seventh. That does not diminish the amazing game that happened on this day 36 years ago.

Let's stay on this time machine and travel back another three years to 1977. What happened then on this day? Actually, I don't know what day it happened, but that was the year Disney released Pete's Dragon, a musical starring Helen Reddy and Mickey Rooney. It went on to earn $36 million, but only has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 48%. Ouch. Well, Disney is remaking it. I suspect it will not be a musical, but the trailer looks cool.

Shh. How about a quiet, at-home workout? Well, here's one from Yahoo. You can do it while watching Shades of Blue on ABC. You could also just watch this video while snacking on chips and dip from your couch, but that might not be as quiet. Here's a shot of the lady exercising while watch me with my chips and dip.


















Do you ever take those online quizzes about movies to see how well you know them. I just took one about The Princess Bride and it seems I might never get married. I only got 2 out of 6. You'd better be ready for some very specific questions to beat me, although with only 33% right, most people should be able to best my score.

Speaking about movies brings another of my favorites to mind. Here is an article about the origins of the line, 'Don't call me Shirley'. If you don't know which movie that is, it requires another trip on the time machine back to the crazy days of 1980.

Need some creative ideas for being late to work? Here are three from an article I found listing some they claim are real. You can decide.
- I had to chase my cows back into the field.
- A black bear entered my carport and decided to take a nap on the hood of my car.
- My lizard had to have emergency surgery in the morning and died during surgery. I had to mourn while deciding whether to have the lizard disposed of by the vet or bring the lizard corpse with me to work.

If I shared this photo already about how people have defaced some public signs, I apologize. however, it is hilarious.



















I am certain I have not shared this next one yet. Who can forget Bill Stickers?

















Have you ever heard of Dazzle Camo? It was apparently a thing in WWI. Anyway, a Japanese artists create a Camo Room based on this technique.














Did you see the woman right in the middle of the room? Next is a photo of a warship in WWI painted with the same camo in order to confuse those wanting to torpedo the ship.













bitstrips.com shows that this is the 623rd comic I have created in this tool. That's quite a few. It does not tell me how many of them have been funny, though.























We had a chorale concert last night at a nearby RV park. Oo-whee, it was warm in there. Sometimes, it is bearable, but i felt really warm last night. They did turn on the air conditioning, but it must have been too late to make a difference with 80 singers and 350 audience members.

Mondays keep coming around almost every week, and today is no exception. At this rate, tomorrow will be Tuesday. I am also hearing people arriving around me, so I will sign off now. Have a really good day and check back in again soon.

No comments: