Thursday, February 25, 2016

Star Trekkin' and Tickety-Booin'

Surprisingly, although I have no idea why I sometimes think of a song during my shower and sometimes do not, I took a shower today with no song in my mind. As I was in the den gathering my things, I flipped on the TV to see the traffic conditions. The newscasters were talking and one of them said "Everything is..." and paused for a moment. She then said "fine of the roads," but by then, my mind had completed the phrase with "tickety-boo." Does that make any sense to you? If not, then you have never seen a 1958 Danny Kaye movie named "Merry Andrew." He sang 'Everything is Tickety-Boo' in that movie and it apparently has been lurking in my head for years. You can watch the scene and hear it here. Crazy. I guess the mind carries all sorts of memories that somehow never expire.

Does that make you long for other things that never seem to expire? Or maybe think of things that are only just past their expiration date? If so, move to Denmark. No, I mean that in a good way. The world’s first supermarket selling only expired food has opened in Denmark. Would you go there? Do you live and die by the expiration dates on food and toss it out the very next day? I am willing to perform the sniff test if it is still close to the printed expiration date.

I came across a singer named Roy Zimmerman when I was strolling through youtube looking for the Danny Kaye link shared above. He's pretty talented, but so far, my favorite of his songs is 'What if The Beatles Were Irish'. It is very clever.

In searching for ideas for today's blog, I came across this.
























Here is a poster I think all of us should hang in our cubicles.
























OK, another Star Trek poster.






















Why all these Star Trek images? We;;, it is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and so the Roddenberry Facebook page is sharing memories for the next few months. And I have been a fan for quite a while. And to help you remember some of the ST:TOS memes, check out Star Trekkin'.

Let's see a show of hands. Who would like to zorb for 14 hours straight? Not sure what zorbing is? Neither was I until I read this. You can see a woman zorbing 21.5 miles across the Irish Sea in the next photo.



















No photos today, but there is a comic strip. Does that make up for it?












What? No, of course we don't have an actual DIY Morale Booth at the office. We do have an Employee Engagement Committee, though. And they are trying to determine how to motivate us. At the same time, leadership is no longer going to bring in candy and Pop-Tarts for team. No more free bagels once a month. No fresh fruit every other Thursday. What's wrong with that picture, huh?

Well, enough soap-boxing. The company is not paying us to sit around and chit-chat. Back to the grind, people. Make it a great day....for the company. Bwah-hah-hah.

No comments: