Friday, February 19, 2016

Cancel That Silver Alert

How do you know that you tried to read a blog post yesterday and it wasn't there? Maybe I wrote one and you just overlooked it? Or maybe, and much more likely, I didn't feel good in the morning and didn't create one. Fine, you caught me. Thanks for noticing, though.

You know what else you should notice. This announcement that McDonald's might offer a Chicken McGriddle. They are currently being tested in Ohio.


















Here's a chart containing information you don't often see coming from the likes of J.P. Morgan. That's right, I am talking about a reference to unicorns in the wild.














Let's think back 71 years to see what happened today in history. On Feb. 19, 1945, during World War II, some 30,000 United States Marines landed on the Western Pacific island of Iwo Jima, where they encountered ferocious resistance from Japanese forces. The Americans took control of the strategically important island after a month-long battle. I do not know much about the battle. In fact, I don't even know where the island is. When I think of Iwo Jima, this image is the only thing that comes to mind. Some of you may never have heard of the controversy around this shot. You can read about it here.



















I have nothing against the Pope. In fact, I think he is doing a good job. However, that does not mean I won't use his comments to prompt today's CoV.













Have you ever heard of the Yosemite Firefall? It is a famous phenomenon that only happens in mid-February at Yosemite National Park. If the falls have enough water, and the weather is clear so the sun can hit the falls, it creates an unbelievable sight that looks like lava falling. I read that a bunch of people were there this year for it. Maybe one day, I can go.























Is it true that Coke tastes better from a glass bottle than from a can? Before you answer, when was the last time you even had a Coke from a bottle? Yeah, it has been a long time for me, too. That did not stop scientists from checking it out and confirming that it is indeed better. Why? Basically, the Coke can absorbs some of the flavor of the drink, despite being lined with polymers that reduce the reaction. The opposite is also true in the plastic bottles - you might find it tastes different because some of the flavor transfers over into the drink. Now, you know.

No, I don't have any new photos, but in checking for some, I did come across this shot of Stonehenge from a visit a decade ago or so.


















OK, since I was out yesterday, I have some catching up to do. How about you? Anything you need to finish before the weekend arrives? OK, let's catch up on the flip side.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Cool Iwo Jima photo story!

...And you were missed yesterday.