Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Dot's a Bible

What happened when the pigpen broke?
The pig used a pencil.
That was today's joke from my Page-A-Day calendar. It is rated G and is safe for all ages.

I saw an interesting idea today. Donald Trump is popular for the same reasons that Andrew Jackson won the presidency in 1828. He promises everyone a lot of bull. Ha ha, I made that up, but the real reason, according to the NY Times, is "The Republican front-runner is winning because, like Old Hickory, he is a wealthy superpatriot who promises to defend the common man." Intriguing, right? While it worries me, the conjecture is plausible. Then again, maybe it's the hair?

















When I started in the IT world, we were using floppy discs to store data. Today, I read about a new glass-based 5D technology that can store the entire Bible in a circle 0.04" in diameter, and should outlast the Earth. That is not even something I can wrap my head around. Maybe it seems obvious to you, and if so, read more here. Unbelievable.

Have you ever had a $50 bill? A $100 bill. What can you do with it? Did you spend it or put it in the bank? As seems to happen periodically, talk is being made to stop printing the $100 note. It is the most popular bill made by counterfeiters. Since normal people rarely use them, a case can be made that it will not impact most of us. What do you think? Does it make sense or would it make no difference? I think it would probably reduce the viability of counterfeit bills, but criminals will find another direction for cashing in.

Do you like a little parmesan on your pizza? Who doesn't, right? An article suggests that maybe most of us don't actually get any, since most parmesan brands include wood pulp as part of the ingredients. Kraft had 3.8 percent, and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8 percent. OK, so there was a little wood pulp in it. It is still mostly parmesan, right? Hold on. According to the FDA’s report on Castle, obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, “no parmesan cheese was used to manufacture” the Market Pantry brand 100% grated Parmesan Cheese, sold at Target Corp. stores, and Always Save Grated Parmesan Cheese and Best Choice 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, sold by Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., which along with its subsidiaries supplies 3,400 retail stores in 30 states. Instead, there was a mixture of Swiss, mozzarella, white cheddar and cellulose, according to the FDA. Nice.



















"And a good president should know how to play the kazoo. Just listen to this Adele song on my kazoo."

"If you hold your hand like this, no one can tell the spitball came from you. I learned that in fourth grade."

"It's a magic trick. Watch as I drink this cup of water using an 'invisible' straw."

"Sometimes, I try to drink a glass of water, but accidentally bring the wrong hand up to my mouth, and then, I am embarrassed and act like I meant to do that."

Sorry. I got distracted looking for clever captions for this silly photo of Hillary. Hey, I have on a black polo today, and I own more pairs of black jeans than I do blue. How can I keep them looking black? Consumer Reports has some ideas.

I do not have any family photos to share today. Actually, I forgot to even look after choir practice last night. Anyway, I just walked through etsy.com and chose a screenshot of some photos to share. Which ones might you pick to hang on your wall? I like the layers of mountains in the top center image. I have at least one of those that I have shared with you before. Next would probably be the center right shot of Paris. I like how it draws my eye to follow the street until it curves out of sight. I suppose #3 would be the top right shot of San Francisco, but it is a distant third.























I heard someone mention Facebook and what it would be like in real life yesterday.























I heard someone come in behind my cube, so that means the Wednesday workday has begun. Have a great day, friends and family.

No comments: