Monday, August 18, 2014

A Colorful Post

'Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be ...'. You thought I was going to say 'cowboys', didn't you? If not, you are probably too young to know much about Willie Nelson songs. Well, I was actually going to say 'pears'. At least in China, they are growing pears shaped like babies.

Here is a photo from 2002 when we took a trip up to New England for the fall colors. I somehow thought it would be a little more impressive. Right?


















One of the things that has stayed with us since that trip is a name we coined to describe the busloads of visitors (mostly women) who come up during the brief time of maximum fall colors. We dubbed them "foliagettes".

Here is a strange photo of me either doing a John Wayne imitation or perhaps a Christopher Walkenesque dance beside the car. One good thing, though, is you can see there were whole trees with color and not just the individual leaves like you saw above.























Do you remember a link I posted a few weeks ago about The Old Man of the Mountain up in NH? I found a picture we grabbed back in 2002 of the Old Man before he fell in May, 2003.


















Are many of the shops and restaurant failing in the community where you live? They are around us. What happens to the buildings or storefronts that are no longer used? For us, if they are in a strip mall, they just sit there empty. A gas station on the corner was recently razed and a credit union opened on the lot. Now, they are also building a Dunkin' Donuts on the site. Sometimes, another business takes over the building, but you can sometimes recognize what used to be there.

Before we hit Colorado again, I should probably replace my hiking boots whose toe is torn open on one of them. Luckily, my tennies are only about one year old, so they are OK. I would not buy shoes that are already muddied, though. And especially not for over $200.

I think that I never finished the story of There's No Mayonnaise in Ireland by Wil Stanton. Here is the rest of the story.

Why, why can't people learn to speak clearly?
It was toward the end of the evening that I noticed an attractive girl, wearing an extremely mini outfit, sitting back in the shadows all by herself. I went over and told her how much I liked her dress.
"Thank you," she said. "I always say, you can't beat sex."
Well, I don't have to have the roof fall on me. I sat down on the couch and put my arm around her. "You took the words right out of my mouth." I said.
She seemed surprised. "Really?" she said.
"That's right," I leered. "I admire somebody who doesn't beat around the bush!" I leaned over and started to nibble her ear. The next thing I knew I got a clout on the head, and by the time I'd found my glasses the girl was gone.
Later, I heard her talking to the hostess. "I don't know what set him off," she was saying. "I said that I'd bought my dress at Saks, and— wow!—it was Katie bar the door!"
So now I've become overly cautious. If a woman says, "I'm so proud of my knees," I pause; I think; and then I remember with a smile that she happens to have a nephew, too.
On occasion, however, I'm still baffled. Like the time last summer when my wife and children were at the shore and I was alone in the house. The phone rang, and a sultry voice said, "This is Sophia Loren. I just got into town, and I'd like to stop by and see you."
Actually, I don't know what the voice said, because obviously it couldn't have been what it sounded like. So I said I was sorry, I was sick, and I hung up.
Since then I have gone over that message word by word, trying to see what part of it I could have misunderstood. As far as I can tell, it means exactly what it seems to have meant. I read in the paper that Sophia was in town that evening, and it certainly did sound like her voice.
Of course, I know perfectly well that if I'd said, "Okay, sure," it would have turned out that I'd ordered aluminum siding for the house and garage. Or agreed to take charge of PTA entertainment for the next year. Something like that.
At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

You can read the earlier extracts in Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy? I thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed out loud at some scenes. It would help if you are a sci-fi or techy or action nerd. Still, even MBH liked it. Color us happy.

BTW, just like Preacher Bro, IT Sis didn't know that song I mentioned last week, either. I guess the folks were careful who they shared it with.

Speaking of family, I have a cousin who is ill with pancreatic and liver cancer. He is currently undergoing chemo, and it does not sound fun.Keep him in your prayers.

How have we gone this long without a new Clarity of Vision comic? Maybe this will color my cousin's day a little brighter?












Really? Consumers choose Cheesecake Factory over Cracker Barrel and Red Robin for casual dining? Color me surprised.

And with that, color me finished, at least for today. Of course, have a Marvelous Monday.

No comments: