Thursday, August 21, 2014

No More Covered Bridges!

I have mentioned before that we traveled through New England a few years ago. I was working in Warwick, RI, so they flew there and then we drove north to Boston. We also hit NH, VT, ME, and NY. So, since we were up in covered bridge land, I wanted to catch as many as I could. Every time I found there was one close, I would sneakily divert our trip to see one (maybe not so sneakily, but I was the primary driver). Finally, after we saw a bunch, Dad decided we would see "No more covered bridges!"

Let's look at a couple, though. I already shared Saco River Bridge a couple of days ago. Here is Albany Bridge in Albany, NH.
















While the entrances are cool and more recognizable, I like the shots where you can see more of the bridge itself. Let's see another shot of the Albany Bridge. Yes, the colors really were that brilliant.

















And now, another bridge in NH. Let's go with view over the river of the Swift River Bridge near Conway.

















The colors are equally bright in the daily Clarity of Vision. Still, it is possible that Dad may say "No more comic strips!"












One of the songs from one of the missing Gaither Vocal Band albums is Build an Ark. Do you remember that song? Here is a reunion of the group singing the song on one of the Homecoming videos.

And now that I am looking through the videos in youtube, let's listen to another song from the same album. The title song, New Point of View. I really like the bass voice, Jon Mohr (who also wrote this one if I remember correctly).

This story out of Denver is titled "Woman with no fingerprints faces theft, forgery charges in Colorado". So, I am wondering what the discussion at the police station sounded like? "Sarge, we've got house that was transferred to another name and a fake signature on the deed." "OK, any evidence? DNA? Fingerprints? Anything?" "Well, sir. It turns out...we've got NO FINGERPRINTS. So, we think it was a woman who removed her fingerprints." "She sounds guilty. Let's bring her in."

So, Wizard Wars did very well on its debut episode on Tuesday. What? You never heard of that show? Me, either, but it sounds interesting to me. Teams competing to create new illusions that Penn and Teller like. It is on Syfy. Let's watch the next one, OK? And NBC cancelled Working the Engels. What? You never heard of that show? Me, either, but since it is cancelled already, we will never know what we missed.

I saw this story headline on Yahoo! this morning.










So, let's compare our responses. What was yours? OK, now let's see mine. I thought of the boss saying to the employee, "Hey, do you want to shower first in the morning or can I?"

I also saw a story headline talking about the value of the various NFL franchises. The Cowboys top the list at $3.2 billion, and the Rams are the lowest at $930 million. What was your response to that? Mine was "Jerry, what if I give you $268 now and we finance the rest?"

Let's wrap up our covered bridge and GVB and Yahoo! link fest with one more topic. We have reached the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz. Here are some things about it you may not have know, or thought about, or cared about.

I have used more than enough virtual real estate for today. Have a Thrilling Thursday and come back soon, Y'hear?

2 comments:

The Grandparents said...

You have comic strips?

denise tucker said...

i have to admit that i am in favor of "covered bridges" as i grew up around military which of course had nothing of the sort near any base? when i married pat he got me hooked on these...as there are festivals which follow in route/which of course has food samples of sort. have vacationed at some of the places you listed which have these covered bridges, am surprised most of them are still standing? hmmm....the "thinker" am guessing is perhaps in his brain wondering where could i go for the $5 meals around here? ----[ciao]