Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sooner Than You Think

I met with the company handling my retirement account yesterday. So, the title of today's post means that, even for you young whippersnappers, you need to start saving for retirement sooner than you think you need to, and the days when you will need it also seem to arrive sooner than you think. So, in no particular order, he said:
1. The company says gold is a good investment, but I say how much higher do you think it will go? Only buy it if you think its value will increase for three years or more.
2. If you have family members with kids, they should start their 529 college savings plan with $50 per month. AZ is very generous in how you use it, so there is no downside.
3. If you have a 401K plan with your company, check to see if a Roth IRA is an option. If so, I recommend you convert to that. At some point, the government will have to raise taxes to support the social programs, and if your retirement is built on current tax rates, higher rates in the future won't hit you as badly.
4. While probate in AZ is not as bad as some states, you don't need the state deciding how to disburse your assets. And it will cost 10X as much for your heirs compared to creating a will now. Go do that.
5. Yes, you can move your money between funds, but don't jump just because one fund lost and another gained. Everybody with stocks in their portfolio is losing right now. Do your homework and choose wisely, grasshopper. (OK, he didn't actually go into a Kung-Fu quote).

Now that I have mentioned kung-fu, let's read today's Clarity of Vision.

Still no news about which building our team will move to, nor when it might happen. However, they are filling up the room where we currently sit, so it needs to happen soon. Boo. I like it here because of traffic flows in the am and pm, and it has covered parking since I arrive at the crack o' dawn.

Well, I've got a call at 10am and a meeting at 11 for which I need to prepare. And I have some reports I need to generate that I normally create on Tuesdays, but since I was off yesterday afternoon, I am behind. Where is my ninja helper when I need him (unless he would sneak in and take credit for my work). Anyway, let's end with a quote from the TV series Kung-Fu...

If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

No comments: