Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Warning! Office Space-Themed CoV

Have you seen the movie Office Space? Did you think it was funny? If not, then today's Clarity of Vision may not be for you. Well, there may be a couple of clever spots, but the movie's running jokes about the TPS report and staplers will be lost on you. Let's go ahead and get it out of the way.
OK, cartoon aside, what else happened? The girls are spending the night Friday night while their parents go to Cirque du Soleil. That should be fun. I know Kathie has a couple of new books for them, and maybe Mickey D's, and take MoMo for a walk. We will have a good time.

We had a good Chorale practice last night. It is all Christmas music all the time through the end of the year. We have a couple of really nice arrangements and the rest is pretty good. This is always a fun time of year for the group. Our big Chorale and orchestra concert is Sunday, Dec 19.

Since I had practice last night, I did not get a chance to play with photos. And I forgot to bring one for today's post, so I got nothing to attach except the comic above.

Today starts the annual enrollment period for our company benefits. I am sure the prices have gone up, but I have not checked yet. They are touting that we can pick and choose levels of benefits in 28 ways. I'll be the judge of that.

We do not get Veteran's Day off. How about you? I think the teachers in the family are off at least for that one day (tomorrow, right?). However, since we are not off, they do get 3 balloons and a bag of candy at their desks and a thank you notice on the company website. Hey, nothing says thanks for your sacrifice like balloons and candy.

No, I still have not scheduled the tech dude to finish setting up my Macbook so I can run everything from the Mac side instead of Windows 7. Maybe I'll try to get that done by the end of the year. Maybe.

I am taking the annually required Sexual Harassment online training right now. They want to make sure we all understand it fully, so they disallowed skipping forward in any of the videos. So it will take a minimum of three hours to complete. Anyway, while I was watching it yesterday, they mentioned that we should not leer suggestively. I wondered...what does a leer look like, anyway? I tried one on a cube neighbor and she said it looked more like I had a stomach ache. We looked it up in the dictionary, but did not get a clear definition of how the face should look.

I guess I need to go finish that class, check on my benefits enrollment options, and get the weekly metrics compiled. Doesn't that sound busy? I think so. You go act busy, too, so we will all have jobs tomorrow. See you then.

5 comments:

Lewis said...

I guess it is a sign of the times that it takes a 3 hour video to tell you not to hit on your co-workers. At my first accounting job, the senior partner told me that if I messed with the secretary I was history. Simple and effective explanation of company policy.

Lindsay Ward said...

Our insurance only went up by $25/mo...not bad. I recently took the respect at work wbl for my office. I learned not to use terms like gay at all...even to describe you being happy...it can be offensive.

Craig Weeks said...

Lewis, surely you worked for a small or moderately small firm at the time. Large entities cannot make the simple simple.

Zachary said...

Here in the world's finest Navy, we are are always told things like, "I don't care if you say f"*# or d*$%, but please don't say anything offensive". They are talking about sexually offensive stuff, I just think it's funny that they don't have a problem with the rest of it.

Lewis said...

Yes Craig, I have actually never worked for a large orgainzation like you guys do. I spent many years dealing with the IRS, however, so I do understand the frustration that can arise when dealing with a large bureaucracy. I always try to follow the KISS rule (Keep It Simple Stupid), but that is not always possible.