Tuesday, May 31, 2016

High-Flying Movie - Non-flying Drone

What was the #1 movie this past weekend? It was X-Men: Apocalypse. So, did we avoid it because of crowds or did we see it because of ... well, X-Men? Yes, TD and I went to see the movie yesterday with one of the GRANDS. We had a good time, and the movie was pretty good. It wasn't great (at least not for me), but I know for sure that GRAND #1 loved it, and that is worth it.











The other main thing that I did this weekend was buy a small drone and began learning how to fly it. It is a little thing at around 3"x3", but it's orneriness exceeds that by leaps and bounds. And so far, leaps and bounds is about how well I am doing (not that I am doing wonderfully. More like the drone just keeps leaping and bounding off the floor and walls). The hobby shop did warn me that learning on a small drone does not really give a sense of the ease of flying a larger (and certainly more expensive) unit. Still, I don't want to invest more money if I am not going to enjoy the hobby. So, right now, it always seems to trend backwards and to the right when it takes off. I went back to the shop and they gave me some pointers, but did warn that almost any type of wind will make it more difficult to control. Even indoors, it doesn't go straight up. OK, I've only had two days to play so far, but I am still trying to get in control of flying using the transmitter. One of the challenges is remember which way to turn if the drone is flying parallel or toward me. What is my goal and inspiration? Check out this video describing a unit I may ultimately want, and seeing some ideas of what it could do during our upcoming family reunion.





















I did not find any articles to share from my walk through internet world this morning (or even last night). So, let's see what I have stores for you. Oh, also, I did not load any photos because Google Blogger (the platform I use for this blog) was not working last night.

A few years ago, our family went on a vacation up through San Francisco. I shared those photos on previous blogs. My reason for remembering this is that I would use down time on that trip to study for my professional certification. I passed the test, but part of staying up-to-date is ongoing training. I now only have six weeks until that certification must be renewed, and I still lack 20 or so hours being ready. Some of that is covered by on-the-job credit, but not all of it. I had better stay focused to get that done.

Do you like Rice Krispie Treats? We do, and here are a few variations that could reignite your love of these snacks. You know, like S'More treats, or Nutella Cookie Dough. Go try one today. They seem simple to prepare.














I think this next photo is from the remake of True Grit starring Jeff Bridges. I know for sure that is Jeff on the left. Anyway, the point of it is that this is one of those shots where the weapon has been replaced by a selfie stick. I think they did a good job.














No, this is not in front of our door.


















This dude that takes the Photoshop requests certainly has to be creative to find ways to complete the challenge the photo owners request without actually doing what they asked for. Well look, here's an example.




















Have you seen the 1962 movie Lawrence of Arabia? I think I saw it years ago. Anyway, a couple of years ago, Smithsonian Magazine published an article about the true story of Lawrence. It is an interesting read and I found it worth a few minutes. Here is a photo of him in 1919.



















I have never seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Even so, that is the subject of today's Remove a Letter, Change the Plot meme.






















Let's CoV before we stop.












Yesterday was a holiday, but today is business as usual. Let's get it started.

No comments: