Friday, May 20, 2016

Simon? Armstrong? Young? Diamond? Sedaka? Which Neil Will I Reference today?

This looks to be a short post today. I did not find any stories that I wanted to share from my search of the interweb. And for some reason, I forgot to load any photos last night. So, I will pull a few things from my 'just in case' backlog. First, I will start off with a rambling story about why I was thinking of Neil Diamond this morning.

Yesterday, I had Starland Vocal Band on my mind. You remember that, right? I mentioned the group to some coworkers and they talked about them as if they were one-hit wonders. They also mentioned that one of the satellite radio providers has a station dedicated just to one-hit wonders. Fine, I suppose they were for the song 'Afternoon Delight'. As I told you, though, I preferred their arrangement of Paul Simon's 'American Tune'. Fast forward to last night. I was searching for which music downloads I wanted for the week and came across Paul Simon. He has a compilation album that includes an unfinished demo of 'American Tune' that has the chorus, and maybe one verse, and a whole lot of 'da da dat's and 'doo doo doo's. I found it interesting that he must build his musical framework first and then find words that fit the phrasing and feel of the song. I found it on youtube and linked it above.

BTW, I did not decide about which songs to download yet. Now, fast forward to this morning. I did start off with 'American Tune' in my head again, probably because of the version I heard last night. Somehow, that morphed into Neil Diamond's 'America'. What is up with patriotically-named songs in my brain? Insane.




















Did I tell you about our plumbing problem earlier this week? Of course, becoming a grandfather (and Dad being a great-great-grandfather) means that I need to fill the roles he used to perform. So, I jumped in and began to see where the leak in the hall bath was coming from and what to do to fix it. It was the valve on the hot water side under the sink. Our bathrooms are not very big, and the cabinet holding the sink is even tighter. When was the last time we did anything under here? Who knows. In any case, I could not loosen either of the nuts on the connection, so I had to see if Dad had an idea. He came over and also could not loosen them. YES! I felt a little vindicated. We decided to just cut the copper pipe and put all new connections.

We found a solution that would not required sweating the copper pipes. I have checked the area several times since then and no water, so I am proclaiming this project finished. Thanks, Dad.

What happens when Alice in Wonderland defaces a one-dollar bill? Magical things.











A one-word change in the title of this book certainly changes the plot.
























This dish scrubber may be an inanimate object, but it becomes a face taunting you that you should always rinse and load rather than leave the dishes in the sink. Guilty.
























Our friend, Mr. Seattle Gas Station, has a comment to share:














I have two Clarity of Vision comics at home on my computer, but I did not load them nor send them to my work email. So, I will use a classic one and save those until next week.Bummer.























That brings this week to a close. Well, I meant as far as blogging. We still have a full workday to get through before we can go home (don't you love rush hour traffic?), pop open a cold one (I'm talking sparkling water, of course), and kick our feet up (not on the coffee table that can get scratched up, of course), and watch Game of Thrones (or Gotham, or Shark tank, or whatever guilty TV pleasure you prefer). See you in a few days.

No comments: