Friday, May 27, 2016

Raise Your Arms for Spelling and Charting and Subwaying and Museuming (Those are Gerunds, right?)

One day in NYC, we caught a subway heading up to the middle of Central Park. Here we are about to catch our train.
















We were heading toward the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or as it is commonly called, The Met.
















We waited until we reached the museum to eat breakfast, and since we 'shopped' at food stands on the street, we just ate on the steps.
























Inside, one of exhibits was housed inside this recreated house. Online, I cannot find any specific info about it. Is it a real building transplanted into the museum? Is it just a really fancy wall? I don't know.
















Today's really bad joke or pun from the calendar:
History teacher: What happened at the Boston Tea Party?
Student: I don't know, I wasn't invited.

Today's stupidest thing ever said, from another calendar:
Longest Spelling Be Ever?
11 and 13-year-olds finally finish competition.
on-screen caption, Fox News

Did you see the funny thing there? The TV caption misspelled 'Spelling Bee'. In a story about a spelling bee.

So, the 2016 spelling bee did just end, and it was a tie for the third year in a row. Most of us are not participating in a spelling competition, but it does not mean that no one knows which words we cannot spell. Google just shared the most commonly misspelled word for each state. California is home to the Mojave Desert, but the word "desert" had the most spelling queries. Arizonans and people in New Hampshire struggled with the word "diarrhea," while Floridians searched for the proper spelling of "tomorrow." Can you spell your state's commonly misspelled word? (BTW, why are people in AZ and NH searching so often for 'diarrhea'?)













Have you ever ridden on an elevator? Of course you have. The building I am now in has 10 stories and 4 elevators. Our team is on the eighth floor. So, how does the control system for them decide which elevator to send once I press a button?  Is there any rhyme or reason to it? You bet your sweet bippy there is. I will not spoil the technological reveal, but you can read all about it here. It really is very interesting. As a teaser, ponder this: Does it serve the person who's been waiting the longest? Or always go to the closest call? Where does it make the compromise between speedy service and keeping energy usage down?

Now, quicker than you can say Sectum Sempra Selfie, how about another weapon replaced by a selfie stick?





















Photoshop request to change the way a photo looks and the hilarious result:

















I did have a song in my head this morning. The title started with 'Your', but here several hours later, I cannot remember which song it was. I didn't write it down because I was sure I would remember. No, wait. It just came to me, even though Rhapsody in Blue is playing in my ears. It was 'Your Grace Still Amazes Me.' I imagine you are familiar with the song, but the chorus is very nice.
Your grace still amazes me.
Your love is still a mystery.
Each day, I fall on my knees
'Cause Your grace still amazes me.
Your grace still amazes me.

If we could chart how often I forget things, it would be a line just going up and up.























Am I still a vegan? We have talked about this before. No, I eat most things (although I still mostly avoid milk products). Most workdays, I bring my lunch to work and it is usually vegan-type fare of a quinoa salad, edamame, and fruit. However, I needed that comment in the comic today just to play off of the chart comments.

I am off on Monday. How about you? So, that means there will likely be no blog post and no Clarity of Vision. Have a great Memorial Day. When MBH's father was alive, and we were there with him on this holiday, we would take a trip over to the cemetery and place some flowers on family graves. Both of her parents are now buried there. Back then, it seemed like a burden, but thinking back, it is a pleasant memory, and the right thing to do on Memorial Day. Do you have any traditions around this holiday?

Sorry. I got off topic for a moment. I was just remembering listening to my FIL tell stories about the family. Now, here years later, I wish he was around to give me more of their history. OK, let's start today and get to that holiday more quickly. See you next week.

No comments: