Thursday, May 12, 2016

I Wish My Electric Company Would Pay Me for Electricity

Did I mention that we spent some time on Ellis Island? Of course, I did. Here is the Main Hall.
















Here is a photo of Ellis Island when it was in use processing immigrants in the early part of the 20th century.
















This is a newspaper article about someone's experience at Ellis Island around 1910. If you zoom in, you can read her story. I wanted to see if our relatives had come through the island, but they opened for processing in 1892, and I think my predecessors would have come to the country in the 1860s or 1870s.
















Today's calendar entry (from 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said):
He doesn’t want two roosters in the henhouse—he wants to be top dog.
broadcaster James Allen

And the entry from the 304 bad jokes and 61 bad puns calendar:
Dad Humor
Lauren: Dad, I've decided I want to become a carpenter.
Dad: All right, I suppose we can send you to boarding school.

I read this morning that, in Germany last Sunday, it had so much renewable energy that it had to pay people to use electricity. Is that crazy? It makes me wonder why the US isn't trying to promote the development of renewable options to reduce our dependence on oil? I am sure there is pressure from many directions to slow those options.

Speaking of electric company, do you remember the TV program The Electric Company? It ran from 1971-1977 (with reruns through 1985) and the original cast included Morgan Freeman, Rita Moreno, Zero Mostel, Mel Brooks, and Bill Cosby. Just a little trivia for this morning.

And in an equally crazy announcement, Texas Republicans are going to debate on allowing voters to decide whether the Lone Star State should become an independent nation. Texas was, in fact, its own country for nine years before joining the United States in 1845, and while the idea of returning to independence has never been taken seriously by most people, it remains popular as a romantic notion and marketing hook. This notion has been floated for years, but it will be the first time in the state's 171-year history that they will actually vote on one. It's very unlikely to win. Then again, that's what people said about Donald Trump.

We have a cat that likes to lay in front of our bedroom door and meow right through the crack...and at full volume, too. It always seems to happen in the middle of the night, pulling me from a deep sleep. I refuse to get up just because i don't want to reinforce his actions. BTW, it doesn't seem to help.












Let me think. Do I have a garage? Yes. Do I have an Amazon Echo unit? No. Do I have a Tesla Model S? No. Well, then I cannot ask the Echo unit to pull my Tesla in or out of the garage automatically. If you do have all those things, though, watch this video to see what fun your can have. It is pretty fun.

Today's inanimate object that looks like a face:
























The posting showing people who look like fictional characters thinks this dude looks like Colonel Sanders. I suppose...a little bit.























Since I am on a roll, how about a page from the corrupted coloring book?















Do you remember that I told you yesterday I was trying to create a management-friendly presentation about one of my projects. I put together a deck and "socialized it" with my peers, and none of them really liked it. Still too detailed was the consensus. I have to finish it today, so I'm heading into work mode now. See you soon.

1 comment:

The Grandparents said...

Isn't that Dennis Kendall? Seriously.