Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Stars and Stripes and a Church and a Droid

It's here! For the first time in three years, we get to add an extra second to a day. This 'leap second' will be tacked on at 11:59:59pm GMT (although that is 5pm PST), making the last minute of the day 61 seconds long. So what, you may be asking? Last time we did this, Reddit and Gawker briefly crashed, and Qantas Airways had to cancel 400 flights due to a glitch in booking. So, if the day feels long, now you know why.

Many of you probably have a pet that sheds hair. Many of you wish there was an easy way to pick up all that hair from your floor, couch, pants leg, etc. Break out that tennis ball. Put on your dishwashing gloves. Blow up that unused balloon. Those should work, and there are even more surprising ideas in the article.

How come my skies don't look like this? These photos are 2 of the 20 in an article about capturing the cosmic elements and tying them to the earthly surroundings. Pretty cool for me.













Here's a question to ponder or maybe even ruminate about. What if Star Wars was kind of real. By that, I mean what if we had those types of space ships nowadays? And what if some crashed on Earth? This artist decided to create photos depicting these sad endings to famous Star Wars ships.













Don't believe in all that stuff? No? Then why is there a communication manual for R2 units?
























I found this on the interweb the other day:
"I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 21-day diet in 3 hours and 12 minutes"


I also came across this list of comments that kids make about grandparents. I will share just a couple of them now to whet your appetite.
Usually grandmothers are fat, but not too fat to tie your shoes.

They can take their teeth and gums out.

From the now-legendary Reunion File, here are a couple of shots of the church that my grandparents attended, and where my great-grandfather was once pastor. It still looks the same as I remember. The parsonage over on the left was rebuilt after a tornado tore it down in early 1948.
























As you can imagine, I have been there many times, and I do not remember it EVER looking like this tourism postcard.















Well, let's wrap this baby up and put her to bed. Oh wait, I do have one more item to share. I am sharing a comic from my first year, and not updating it. I couldn't really create good characters for them, and this tells the story sufficiently.
























Now, for reals, it's time for the day with an extra second to get started. I'll be back tomorrow (plus one second).

No comments: