Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A long time ago in a blog far, far away....

I wrote long ago about remembering how interesting it was to hear a lawyer teach a Sunday School lesson about Paul's defense on Mars Hill. I remember him talking about the way Paul presented his case, mentioning a defense point and then using it later to spring a 'trap' on the assembled group. Anyway, I was reminded of that when I saw a headline this morning about a paleontologist reviewing the movie Jurassic World. "The raptors hold their hands wrong, the mosasaur is too big, the T. rex moves too fast, the colors of the dinosaurs look too much like crocodiles and not enough like birds. And that’s just a taster."

I also just saw that China just screened the original Star Wars for the first time. That's funny, because I saw it "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Another thing I learned today is that Unfrosted Pop-Tarts have more calories than frosted ones. Their crust is thicker to compensate for the lack of frosting. Too bad, because, if I were to eat them, I prefer the unfrosted ones.

We haven't done a "pick your art" challenge in a while. Take a look at these thumbnail shots. Remember, you have to choose one for your house. Which would you pick? I would choose the aspens first, and the lake reflection photo second. However, something about the painting on the middle right draws my attention.



















Do you remember hearing about the earthquake that stuck Nepal (and Mt Everest) earlier this year. How bad was it? It turns out that it moved Mount Everest three centimetres (just over an inch) to the southwest, but did not change its height, according to Chinese research published on Tuesday. And the densely populated Kathmandu Valley, around 80 kilometres (50 miles) southeast of the epicentre, moved south by nearly two metres during the quake. That is crazy stuff, my friends.

Let's look back at a classic CoV from July, 2009, before we continue.












My health insurance this year is just horrible. So, when I can, I will always choose generics over brand names. And if there is an over-the-counter (OTC) option, even better. But...which one is better? Do you ask the pharmacist? Here are a number of their picks. Hint: Claritin is the go-to, before Zyrtec, Allegra Allergy or any others. Hint #2: Advil beats Excedrin and Tylenol for headache relief.

Shemika Charles once set the record for lowest limbo dancing, contorting her body to pass under a pole 8.5 inches above the ground. As this video demonstrates, she can limbo under a parked car. She is pretty amazing, I must admit. Yes, I MUST.

Enough for today. I am not sure what will happen the next couple of days as I will be away from the blog-making news desk. So, there will either be something or nothing. That's fairly definitive, isn't it? And you cannot say that isn't true. See ya in St Louis, screwy.


1 comment:

Keith said...

#1: Aspen Medley
#2: Branch Brook
#3: tree trunks (bottom center)
#4: Dancing Tree