Friday, March 06, 2015

I Hear That Train A-Comin'

Today, let's start with another analysis of some photos I took of a train trestle south of Trout Lake (amazingly, it is called the Trout Lake Train Trestle, or Bridge 51). It was built by Rio Grande Southern Railroad to replace the original 1891 bridge, after it washed away in a flood in 1909. This trestle was restored in 2005 and is the only large railroad bridge remaining along the Telluride to Rico line. This first photo is a historical one of when the trestle was still in use.

















Five years ago, when I took these shots, it looked like this. This is from almost the same angle as the historical one.






















Here is one I took from the side.






















But here is how it looks now after they did some stabilization work on the trestle.

















The new-looking wood takes away some of the charm, at least for me. Now, a few shots trying to frame the trestle in different ways. Which one do you like best?



















The bottom have stronger foreground objects for framing, but the top two show the mountain in the background better. The first one shows the most of the trestle. I thought I would choose the last one in landscape, but after going through them again for you, I now prefer the first one. I like the slope of the hill and trees leading up to the mountain. And I like seeing more of the trestle. What about you?

Another historical thing you often see in my blog posts is a remake of some of my older Clarity of Vision comics. Here comes one now. "It's comin' round the bend".












Do these train-related photos give you the desire to take off and explore? One couple from L.A. decided to build a tiny house and travel the country. You can read the story here, or go to their website for all the details. Would you be willing to pull up roots and do this? It sounds cool, but I would miss family and GRANDS.

It seems there are now gateway veggies identified to help you move towards a healthier diet. Read some specifics here.

I guess the only people who don't have to worry about their diet is superheroes. So, how would you like to be painted to look like one? Lianne Mosley of Calgary is doing just that. You can find some links here, and see an example in the photo below. Yes, that is a real person on the left. Look at the hair in the photo to confirm it.




















Next year is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. There is no Star trek-related series on the air right now. A story on Vox suggests making it an anthology-type show with a new cast and storyline every year. I would let them introduce different writers, directors, stars, etc, just as True Detective and American Horror is doing. Sounds intriguing, right?

Since we are discussing science fiction right now, what if I told you that Jack from the movie Titanic was a time traveler? A fan tells us the reasons in this article. Her points all make sense.

When you come back, time will have traveled to Monday and we will start it all over again. See you then.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I like the trestle pictures. I will have to agree with you on choices this time. Thanks for sharing.
By the way, speaking of Star Trek and Leonard Nimoy, when I initially heard he had passed away, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "It's worse than that—he's dead, Jim!" (I mean no disrespect.) Anyway, do you remember that routine that involved this phrase and several others (something about Klingons on the starboard bow?) all being "chanted" together?

CrazyUncle said...

The song was Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Keith said...

Where can I listen to it?

CrazyUncle said...

Star Trekkin'