Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Oops. I Did It Again.

Did you think of Britney when you read that? That means you are either young or have a kid who passed through the right age to listen to Britney Spears. That has nothing to do with why it is the title of today's post, though. I meant that I forgot to load any photos for you...again! I am so sorry. Then again, you knew it was Chorale practice night, so there was every likelihood that I would not think of blog prep at 9:30pm.

One thing that I did think of, though, happened when I laid my stuff on the table to bring to work on Wednesday. There was a box there for writing prompts. You can read the full story over in the other blog (see link on the right). Suffice it to say, it brought a comic idea to mind.













Today is my final prep class before my test Friday morning. Yes, I am getting a little nervous. Remember that I seem to be stuck in the mid-70s on my scoring. I don't have time (won't make time?) to do a full 4-hour practice test again tonight, and all studies for test anxiety say take the evening before the test off from hard studying. Well, I will keep you updated.

Hey, CPA Cuz, I have not heard from you in a while. I have a question for a friend (no, really. It is not for me). If someone were to be interested in getting into accounting, what would be the best way? Would they need to go the whole CPA route? I read a lot that implies good positions want experience, even if you have an accounting degree. NZ Niece, what do you think?

Wait a minute! I almost forgot to mention that the folks came to Chorale practice last night. They stayed the entire two hours, so that is more great news confirming the health. I forgot to ask Dad how he did with the words. Dad, did you remember them better?

I also almost forgot to tell you that we had a little game action during lunch yesterday. Three of us played Pandemic, but we lost. An outbreak in North America wiped out enough cities that we lost. It was pretty fun. It took just over one hour, in case you were curious. I hope no real virus can work that quickly.

OK, we've had our fun for today. Let's save something for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lewis said...

Hey Cuz,
It's good to hear the positive updates on your parents and I always like pictures of places I have not been. My daughter is getting married in December and I have been a little distracted by the thought of money flying out of my wallet. Actually, I am very excited, mostly because she is very excited about the wedding. It better be fun.
I'm not sure that I am a good reference for accounting career advice since I am like, OLD, and have been out of the loop for a while. My experience has been with small CPA firms and working with small business owners and individuals. My take is that, if you just want a steady job that pays OK, you can get an accounting degree and probably find a job. If you have higher aspirations, you pretty much need a CPA certificate. Certainly, if you want to go to work in public accounting, you have to have your CPA or be preparing to test for it. If you are going to make that career choice, you should just go for it, if at all possible. If nothing else, it will open some doors for you and give you some instant credibility with employers.
I don't really have a feel for the employment situation with accountants these days. I think with the slow economy employers probably have a bigger pool to pick from, so they are able to hire more experienced people at a reasonable pay rate. That will change once the economy picks up and things get more stable. Don't laugh, it could actually happen in our lifetime.
Dang, I didn't mean to write a letter. This should suffice for my not commenting for at least a month. Lindsay can give you some high level, big firm, advice and maybe she can be more concise. I doubt it though, they bill by the hour too.
Stay cool and have a good week.

Lindsay Ward said...

I drafted a blog post last night but need to add photos before I publish. I believe you could get into accounting without the CPA designation especially with a degree of some kind. The types of jobs would be working for a company basically doing their books or in accounts payable, something like that. However, I would say to advance in those types of position, you would want to work towards a CPA. My sister-in-law works in an accounting department and she has a marketing degree from Baylor. Her boss is encouraging her to get her CPA and even offering to pay for the additional classes required. Does that help?