Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Erin Go Bragh

That is Gaelic for Ireland forever. One of my teammates leaves next week for Ireland, so I decided to say goodbye with a cartoon.

I did not talk to Dad yesterday, so I do not know the status of his hair. Aren't I a loving son? How many of you check in with your parents to see how their hair is doing? However, since I did NOT check in, I suppose I am back in the same bucket as the rest of you.

We may have to rethink the Obama thing. The ceremony is scheduled to start at 7pm ( forgot when. I think May 13 or 14). Anyway, it is outside at Sun Devil stadium, so we will probably be sitting in the sun. The kicker is that we have to be in our seats by 5pm. And Ali and the graduates have to be there also, wearing their caps and gowns. It would be really cool to see the current president and all, but that sounds really uncomfortable. At 5pm, it will almost certainly be above 100F. I'll let you know what I/we decide.

Caleb, once Charlie Dickens joined our team, I knew I would be using his name in the cartoon. So, while I toyed with doing something about A Tale of Two Projects, this one was easily the better choice in my own opinion, which is of course what matters since it is my strip. To me, it is not dumbed down. Maybe you are actually learning something at college? Be sure and check back on the comments of a prior blog post to see the repartee (a conversation marked by the exchange of witty retorts) between Craig (my last college roommate) and myself. You might understand them, too.

6 comments:

Zachary said...

I did talk to your father yesterday regarding his hair. Actually, he called me! He had his hair shaved very short yesterday and then called me to tell me that he now bares a striking resemblance to one good lookin' fellow. I will let y'all guess who that is!

Caleb said...

I was not intending to categorize you among the elderly (though that may not be a far stretch.) I merely was commenting that I did not know who wrote Doonesbury. I have doubts that my own father previously knew the name Gary Trudeau, though it's possible. If you had compared yourself to Walt Kelly, I would have appreciated your reference, though I see little similarity between COV and Pogo. I suppose your blue guy could be Howland and your green guy could be Albert.
I'm uncertain about your remark concerning the conversation between you and Craig Weeks. I seldom comment on those since I've never met him. My first reaction to his initial statment was that "Bella, Kendall, and the parents" would technically seem to suggest that Grandmom and Granddad came over to your house since they are, in fact, your parents. I may be missing something about that whole exchange, but I enjoy reading y'all's correspondence.
The moral of the story is: I have been learning stuff at college. Write a lot when you could say a little so that you can meet the length requirements.

Keith said...

Trudeau? Never appreciated his comics (although, to be fair, I probably only read two or three, so that may not be an adequate sampling).
Walt Kelly? If you start quotin' Albert Alligator, we's gonna have mo' fun than a mess o' catfish in a summer mud hole!
CoV? The characters lack depth. And all this carryin' on 'bout drinkin' makes me madder'n HECK! Makes my righteous blood boil!
Well, I'm glad I got THAT off my chest!

CrazyUncle said...

Oh please, preacher. I am simply trying to follow the admonition to be in the world, but not of it.

Trudeau? I didn't really read it either, but he is a famous cartoonist that is slightly more of my ilk than Walt Kelly, and probably better known among my readership.

Whew! All this typing makes me want a drink.

Today's morning drink is hot chocolate. However, we have plenty of hot already.

Craig Weeks said...

Ok, ok, "Bella, Kendall and their parents came over ...". I see your point, but doesn't the do a better job of de-humanizing them? :)

Caleb, I'm sort of to social networking what a drive by shooter is to the drug culture. I don't have to know you to chime in on your conversations. Of course, there is no need to sell you on the quality of what I have to offer. And I am reasonable enough to expect it right back in like manner. So, let the party begin (continue?).

And now I must return to fixing a hole where the rain gets in and keeps my mind from wandering ... where it will go-oh.

SuzieQ said...

If you decide to do the Obama thing, you can always sit with the Sweeney/Rostas clan :).