Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Water, The Woods, and The Waterfowl

Errata: In yesterday's blog, I included a photo of a memorial for John Lennon. This morning, I just came across a little bit more info, including the fact that the space is called Strawberry Fields, which I had forgotten. Here's what I learned: On October 9, 1985, on what would have been John Lennon's 45th birthday, New York City dedicated 2.5 acres to his memory and named is Strawberry Fields. Countries from all around the world contributed trees, and Italy donated the iconic Imagine mosaic. It has since become the sight of impromptu memorial gatherings for other notables and, in the days following the September 11, 2001 attacks, candlelight vigils were held there.

Central Park is such a large space (843 acres) that it demands additional photos. So, we are staying in another section of the park today. Here is a view of the Gapstow Bridge over The Pond.
















And another view of The Pond as we head out of Central Park.
















While we were walking back over to our hotel near Times Square, we passed by a big sculpture near 52rd St that just begged for a picture.
























Hey, this photo is not mine, but take a look at it. It is by Donna Kennedy and is entitled Down the Golden Path (I found it on fineartamerica.com). I do like it, but I wonder at her description. She calls it a photograph, and it probably started that way, but doesn't this look manipulated so it looks like an oil painting? Should it still be called a photograph?
















As you can tell since I am pulling from an art/photo site, I didn't find much in my usual web spots. So, let's pick a favorite photo from among a few in a screenshot. The shots in the 3rd position on the first row and the 3rd and 4th positions on the second row are all designed to have the foreground lead your eye into the background. In fact, the sunset photo on the top row is my second favorite. From these images, I think my favorite is San Francisco through the Golden Gate Bridge. I actually like the way they desaturated the city to leave the red of the bridge as the defining color. The vignette even adds to it. What about you?


















Did you hear that the famous WWE wrestler Chyna died, maybe from an overdose? When SS was young, he and I would watch WWE (at that time, it was WWF) and we got caught up in many of the stories presented. They included Chyna, HHH, Steve Austin, the Undertaker, Vince and Stephanie McMahon. They had some crazy stuff back then. Anyway, she was only 45, which makes it seem even more tragic.

Look-alikes time.














And from the Explain a Plot Badly file:





















Time's up, people. Well, it is at least up for me since I need to get to work. This must be Thursday, because I am still savoring the nice blindside vote from last night's Survivor episode. Before we go, though, let's check out today's CoV comic.












OK, NOW we can go. Resolve in your heart that it will be a great day and I know it WILL be. See you soon.

1 comment:

Keith said...

As soon as I saw your comment about the "photo" (Down the Golden Path), I had the same thoughts as you: (1) I really like it, (2) That's not a photograph, and (3) It may have started as a photo, but it has been stylized as a painting.