Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Art Appreciation, Computer Considerations, Hurricane History, and Religious Ramblings

I came across a cool article talking about how a group of scientists designed a computer to paint a photo-realistic Rembrandt painting (you can see it below). They analyzed all his known paintings and the result looks exactly like it should. Go watch the video.






















Today's 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said calendar entry:
Something exciting is developing at the station. A new board has been formed with the responsibility of conceiving and executing our fundraisers.
in “Keynotes,” radio station WDPR newsletter, Dayton, Ohio

In the shower today, I moved from one song to a second song. I was first thinking of 'For My Lady' by Blood, Sweat and Tears. That song was on BS&T 4 from 1971. I then realized I was now thinking of a different song, 'He Plays the Violin' from the musical 1776. 1776 premiered on Broadway in 1969. I don't know what triggered me to change songs in my mind today.

Yesterday, I read (somewhere) about a Pageant of the Masters where people pose in positions that look exactly like famous paintings. The show includes voice-overs that explain the painting, its significance, provenance, and details that help us look at the work of art in new ways. I searched youtube and found this video from CBS News talking about the annual show/exhibit. Go watch it. It is fascinating. The photo below is actors, not the original painting.







My (Our) primary computer at home is a 5-year-old MacBook Pro. I splurged when I purchased it and upgraded to a 750GB HDD. Well, after years of growth, that puppy only has 3.5GB free, and so, I have not yet been able to load my NYC photos. I hooked up my photo backup external drive (1.5TB) last night and started backing up all photos so I can free some space. I did not finish yet, so I will try to do the last few directories tonight, and then start deleting some of the backed-up files so I can see my newest photos. How do you backup files? Do you have a physical secondary drive? Do you use an online location like Google Photos?

I also have another external HDD for music, so I will backup all my music files next. Then, I can free up even more space on the MacBook Pro.

Remember a few weeks ago when I purchased a new Windows laptop, an HP Envy 15t? Well, after not being able to boot, Amazon gave me a code to send it back. Within 3-4 days of shipping it back to them, Amazon has already credited me with the refund, including the cost of the extended warranty. So, I am now deciding which box I want. Right now, I am leaning towards a Lenovo, which is what I use at work. It is not as light and sexy as the one I returned, and the resolution of the screen is not as rich, but it feels more solid, includes a nice HDD, and a keyboard that feels more substantial. However, I have not fully decided yet. The Dell XPS 13 is currently my second choice.

Did you watch all of the American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson yet? Well, I won't tell you how it ends, but we really enjoyed it. I heard that the next story they will tackle is Hurricane Katrina. If they use the same writers, I imagine they can craft a lot of fascinating backstories into it.













Well, it is Survivor night, so we'll go over to the folks' house for our weekly dose of pizza and wings and trash talk. I know that my sister did poorly last week in selecting who would be voted out. Hopefully, she will do better tonight.

I am still recovering from the pneumonia. I don't cough nearly as much, but it is still likely enough from allowing me to participate in the CD recording this weekend. If my cough backs off even more so that I could possibly sit in, I may head over to the church where we are doing the recording and at least listen in. I should know by tomorrow afternoon.

OK, let's get Wednesday underway. There is still only one other person in the office right now, so maybe I can get a jump on some of my documentation. Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friends. Remember, God is in control, no matter what. Lost your job? Have sickness or death in your family? felling overwhelmed with life? Remember God is in control. PTL.

No comments: