Thursday, April 07, 2016

Photos (NYC) and Yo-Yos (weight) and Dodos (my CoV character)

I did it. I finished backing up my photos on my primary computer and was able to free up 80GB (starting at only 2.5GB free). And there is more I can remove if I decide to. The result is that I was at last able to load the photos from last month's trip to NYC. So, with only a little further ado, let's take a look at a few.

My first photo in NYC was at the airport (I took a shot of the group at the airport, but this is the first shot after we arrived). They had this poster in the airport asking us to share out NYC photos using this hashtag. No, I did not share any photos, and I would not have linked them to a hashtag, but I liked the poster.
















On the way to the hotel from the airport, we passed through Queens and passed by the site of the 1964 New York World's Fair. If those discs on the right look familiar, then you might have seen them in Men in Black.
















Here's a postcard showing the features of the fair back then.

















Finally, as we were driving in, I caught my first view of the city.













Check out this cool site. It has a number of original eyewitness accounts to various events. The Crusades. The Civil War, WW1 and WW2. All sorts of things. I have read a few, but decided you might like it, too.

My weight is moving back towards normal, although that means a range of weight instead of a single number. Here, check out my history in the past year. As you can see, I tend to move up and down fairly often.












Did I have a song in my head during today's shower? Yes. More than one, in fact. I tried to keep track of how my mind wandered between songs, so let's see what I remember. I started with 'Washington On Your Side' from Hamilton. In that song, the melody is introduced as a solo. Then, it is repeated as a duet, then a trio, then a quartet. I quite like it. Thinking of the voices together reminded me of the song 'Bui Doi' from Miss Saigon, which has a nice, multi-part chorus. I then went back to Hamilton and tried to think of which song has a reference to the phrase 'sit down, John' from the musical 1776. It is 'Adam's Administration', although it does contain profanity.

I was explaining the musical Hamilton to my father last night. I read that the author purposefully is casting minorities to all parts to reflect the multi-cultural, multi-race makeup of modern-day USA. And I don't mind that. If you want to have a sense of the musical in only 7-minutes, and in a cappella, watch this video. Now, if you want to see a video demonstrating Lin-Manuel Miranda's skill in rapping (Lin-Manuel is the author or Hamilton), watch this clip from The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Could you link 'rainbow', 'pancake', and 'slam dunk'? He does.

Was there a blindside on Survivor last night? Hmm, I can't remember now.

In checking our yahoo.com this morning, I came across the following link. I have to say I wonder about people who think they really need to know this.






I usually have two books that I am reading at any one time. One is a digital copy that I read during lunch on my Kindle Fire. The other is one of my physical books at home. My Kindle book is The Mine about a kid who bumps his head in a mine and is now in the 1930s. The hardcopy book is The Probe about an intercepted space signal that seems to have a non-random pattern embedded in it. Is it from an alien? We'll see.

Why did that even come up? Because today's CoV includes a reference to a physical book.












It is certainly looking like I will not be able to join the CD recording tomorrow night. I am getting better, but this persistent cough would be very disruptive during a recording session. That stinks, but it is better for the group if I sit this one out.

Well, it can be a Thrilling Thursday if we want it to. Do you? Come on. Let's get it started right now.

No comments: