Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Music and Musicals and Bread Pitt

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now." These lyrics to Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven seem almost prescient now as the group prepares to go to trial for allegedly copying some of a song from the group Spirit back in 1968. You can judge for yourself by listening to both songs in this youtube clip.

I came across these clever responses to Facebook posts last night and these four were my favorite ones.
































As promised, here is a photo of the ice rink at 30 Rock. I liked the way the shadow of a building behind me fell on the 30 Rock tower. The statue is Prometheus.
























One block away from 30 Rock is St. Patrick's Cathedral. I thought their logo looked cool. The church opened in 1879. I do not think this plexiglass logo is original.
















Now, here is a shot from the other side of the street. I liked the shadow pattern on the front. Anyway, notice how the cathedral seems to be leaning backwards? That effect is the 'keystone' or 'tombstone' effect. I'll adjust it for the next picture using Photoshop.
























Now, the building looks more straight up and down like you would expect. The only problem with making the adjustment is that you lose some of the top and/or bottom of the photo because of the way the shot is adjusted to make the upright elements appear parallel.
























It's not a rap from the musical Hamilton, but this French Fry Rap from You Suck At Cooking is pretty silly. If you really want to see the raps and songs from Hamilton on Broadway, you'll have to buy resale tickets. I just checked and tickets for a show this week on a weeknight start at $750 for the upper level rear mezzanine (the section farthest from the stage) and run $1,000-$2,000 for the lower level orchestra section. Not cheap, right? 'Finding Neverland', on the other hand, starts at $72, with the most expensive going for $250.

Speaking of musicals, though, I am listening to the Broadway cast recording of 1776 as I complete today's post. At the moment, 'But Mr Adams' is playing.

Another sign from a Seattle gas station:














And another store name based on a celebrity name:

















Thinking of the two musicals 1776 and Hamilton, I am cogitating on the amazing group of patriots and statesmen that came together to help create our country some 240 years ago. Where are the type of people that came together to draft our Constitution and Bill of Rights and other founding documents? Are they the same types of thinkers that for Microsoft or Facebook? Are they involved in government work as policy wonks? Does modern society even foster that type of thinking anymore? Dare I say it, did God actually cause those men to 'Rise Up' at that momentous time in history? I confess that I do not know.

Did mention that a friend at work leaves this coming Friday? Of course, I did, because it was the topic of yesterday's Clarity of Vision. Well, that theme returns today.












Let me think. Anything else? No, I guess that's enough for one day. I will give you back some time to get your day underway. Thanks for traipsing through my thoughts.

No comments: