Thursday, October 22, 2015

Inside the Mind of This Photographer

Let me begin by saying "Don't panic." Let me continue by saying there is a likely a shortage of Legos come Christmas time. So, if that's your thing this year, get started now.

Apostrophe news. Have you ever fussed when your smartphone guesses wrong as to whether or not you want the word to include an apostrophe? You know, "ill" or "I'll". That kind of stuff. Anyway, if you enter the last letter twice, the phone will interpret that as requesting the apostrophe. Give it a try.

Let look at the Uncompaghre River just downhill from the vacation cabin we rented. Do you like this landscape presentation better...
















Or do you prefer this portrait version?
























And here is a closeup of the river without the mountains in the background.
























Why do I take (and sometimes post) multiple photos that look almost the same? I am trying
different shutter speeds (maybe to blur water or darken a too-bright sky). I am trying different foreground/background elements (bring in more trees and color, extend the length of a leading element such as the river, change the overall focus of the eye from the mountain to a river or vice versa). Which of the above shots most catches your attention? I prefer one of the two with the mountain in the background. There is no real strong element in the river-only shot. The mountain is certainly stronger in the first picture and is the strong anchor for your eyes, but I like the middle shot where the river leads your attention up to the mountain.

For some odd reason, I like it when a celebrity speaks out against media for retouching photos. Did you see that Zendaya (no, I don't know who she is) called out a magazine (which I have never heard of) for altering her photo? They backed off and removed the retouched image. Check out the before and after here.

CoV time. News came out at our company that the annual benefits signup process begins 11/9/15. They will not carry forward our choices from this year, and deductibles and premiums are going up. I don't know if this can be directly attributed to Obamacare, but it is still a wallop to the old wallet.












Did you hear that next year will be the last season for Mythbusters? OK, it is true I haven't watched it as diligently in the last few years as I used to, but I still thought it would keep going a while longer. Since the stars know it is ending they plan to choose "the most awesome example" of each type of myth it's tackled in the past in the final episodes.

We have talked before... well, I have talked and you have read... that I sometimes post recipes that look and sound really good but which I have not actually tried. Today is another instance of that. This chicken salsa rice one-pot recipe sounds fairly easy, and looks tasty, but I haven't tried it. We both should make it and see how it does? Don't we all want to eat more healthily (is that a word)?

We have reached my daily limit for blogging, so I will let you go. Check in soon for more fun and interesting content. Of course, if you don't see any, it is because your funny-bone is out-of-whack that day.

No comments: