Wednesday, January 14, 2015

We Shall See What We Shall See

Will I be going back to work tomorrow? I think so, although I am not 100% yet. As is often the case, it gets worse at night. Still, I don't see that staying home will help any more than sitting at a desk.

Did you go to college? Was it an older, venerable place (that's not a word we use much anymore, huh?) or a newer university? The school MBH and I attended and met was found in 1889, so that seems kind of old, right? Well, the photo below (dated 2004) is from Trinity College Dublin, which was founded in 1592. Now THAT'S old.

















OK, the school above is an old place, but this next photo (also 2004) is of an even older place. Westminster Abbey is even older. It was founded in 960AD, although they didn't start building the present church until 1245.
























Well, enough time in the Wayback Machine. Let's move forward to a cowboyish image (from 2008) with this rope hanging on an old fence. I would say the idea is 1880ish, but of course, the rope means it is maybe 1-2 years old. Oh well. I was going for an artsy look.
























Not to burst your bubble, but all the ideas and dreams Gene Roddenberry put into Star Trek were consistent with the physical reality of the universe. So, we will start out seeing the ten biggest design flaws in the USS Enterprise. A couple of examples are no seat belts and the bridge with the officers is sitting right on top of the saucer part of the ship, right where bad guys could blow them up. OK, let's move into a few interesting facts about the show. One I liked was that some scenes were shot on the Andy Griffith Mayberry set. You can even see Floyd's Barbershop in one scene. Oh, there was also a bowling alley in the design for the ship. And did you remember that their elevators could carry them pretty much from anywhere to anywhere, both horizontally and vertically? A man has an idea that could make those a reality. I looked at the digital images he created, but one thing escapes me. How do the motors he will use hold the elevator cage in place when it transitions from horizontal to vertical? Look at the article and you will see where I am struggling.

In a Star Trek-ish vein, Apple has been granted a patent for a touchless screen. According to the patent, 'Ultimately, users would be able to interact with their computers with a wave or push of the hand, according to the patent filing'. Yeah, there is something like that with Kinect, but this one will actually make the computer perform actions. And similarly, Neiman Marcus has a new 360-degree mirror in a couple of its stores. You can compare multiple outfits yourself by saving photos or videos.

Here are ten bookshelfy DIY ideas I saw on Curbly. How many of them do you like? I liked two of them and thought another two were OK. #1 is cool, but doesn't feel like our house. I guess #8 is the closest to something that fit our decor (although not in that color). How about you?

I also saw another thing that is cool but I don't know how I would use it in our house. Adding a personal quote (or, of course, any quote) to one of your own photos. The instructions are here in both Spanish and English. It looks like something a crafty niece or daughter-in-love would/could do.

Before I leave the craft corner, I have one that you teachers might like for your classroom. How about a painted-rock cactus garden?

I just came across an idea to make Ikea Rast units into bedside tables. They are small $35 units and the hacks don't look too expensive. Just sayin'.

Are you cutting back on drinking sodas? If so, would you consider those new mini-cans to help you reach your goal? You've seen them, right? If you would, is it worth paying more money or would you be strong enough to just drink part of a larger one and tossing the rest? I guess the real question is which is more important to you, cost or calories?

Are you an iPhone geek or an Android nerd? Well, Yahoo's David Pogue shares a tip for texting on either type of phone that will save you countless milliseconds. Always double-tap when you finish a sentence.

It is a Wednesday Wow kind of day, so get out there and enjoy it. I am hopeful I will file tomorrow's blog post from my desk at work, so stay tuned.

3 comments:

Keith said...

What's with this free fonts come-on??? Here, I excitedly click on your link only to find that it is a Pinterest link rather than a site where I can access a free font family. I don't have a Pinterestaccount!

CrazyUncle said...

I see how it is. I find these valuable resources and offer them for a pittance, and you are hung up on not having an account to the source material? You can sign up, you know. Your daughter-in-love has an account, and you should want to see her stuff, too. Just sign up and do it now. You can probably find some ideas in there that will help you 'put your mouth to the spout where the gospel comes out'. Olus, you'll get some FREE FONTS.

Keith said...

Thanks for the tip.
I read ONE blog regularly (guess whose...). I check Facebook but almost never post and don't have any "friends" outside of family. I don't do any other social media (and would have trouble even remembering what is out there). I'm not quite ready to "take the plunge" into Pinterest.