Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Post-MLK Workweek Begins... Way Too Early

We spent the long weekend up in the mountains. As you can see, it was a little cool outside, but that made for great fun with the GRANDS. For today's shots, I got up early and went out to capture the resort without anyone in the pictures. You can see the sunrise just peeking behind the trees.
















While they were playing, we did not sit in the swing and watch. Since the snow almost reaches the bottom of the swing, you can see that it was quite deep.
















See that fence there on the left. It surrounds a small mini-golf course that we usually play. This trip, though, you cannot see anything of the fairways, greens or holes, so there was no way to play.
















Here, you can see Hole #2, which usually tees off there right in front of the tree.
























Today's devotional was about the belief of the Catholic Church that the Pope and priests should not marry. The author refutes that by quoting the places where it mentions that Peter's wife's mother was sick. Matthew 8:14 is one of those verses. The devotional author further notes that not only was Peter married, Timothy 4:1 also says that religious leaders should be the husband of one wife. I do think this would have at least limited the severity of the recent scandals involving Catholic priests.

I can never understand how someone like Einstein could come up with his Theory of Relativity. In fact, even reading the simplified explanation I just linked above, I couldn't understand it. So, when I came across an article claiming that "It’s possible that there is a 'mirror universe' where time moves backwards, say scientists," I had to look at it. Nope, could understand that, either. Did you?

Can you believe the recent spate of deaths of famous celebrities? Dan Haggerty, who played Grizzly Adams, was 74. Alan Rickman, the actor was played Severus Snape, was only 69. Glenn Frey of The Eagles was even younger at 67. And those are the most prominent so far in 2016. It leads me to question when I will retire. Sure, the longer we can wait, the higher our Social Security checks will be, and the more likely that your other retirement funds will last your lifetime. However, if you only live as long as these people did, you might not get to enjoy your golden years. What is your thinking on that? I had been thinking maybe wait until 68 or 69 or even 70, but now, I am not so sure. Maybe I should jump in at 66. I accept that no one knows when they will pass away, and if I live longer, my funds could be much tighter, but I do want to enjoy my retirement. I want to be in good enough mental and physical health to appreciate a retirement lifestyle. Well, I've still got a little time to decide.

I did see a story about Glenn Frey, who just passed away a couple of days ago. It was about how the Eagles were formed while a couple of the members, including Frey, were playing for Linda Ronstadt. Go read it. It is kind of cool.

I saw in more than one source a story that the richest 62 people in the world control more than half of the world's money. That is crazy talk, right? The report released by Oxfam, an organization dedicated to fighting poverty, states that the poorest 50% of the world's population is worth an estimated $1.76 trillion, which is also the estimated net worth of the richest 62 people in the world. Their report did not name names. Let me give you a hint. I am not one of them.

Both MBH and I need to go to the dentist fairly soon. I am having some serious pain around tooth #30. What? No, of course I don't remember about tooth numbers. I looked it up so I could write this paragraph. It is in the middle of my lower right, so that looks like #30. Anyway, it reminded me of when I went to a new doctor last year and saw an odd question on the New Patient Questionnaire. Yes, this was an actual question on the actual form. Nope, I didn't create the form.












And so, a new workweek begins. I hope it is a good one for both of us. I need to go call my dentist, so feel free to leave when you are ready.

No comments: