Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Post Containing a Surprising Number of References to Money

This could be a disappointing day. First, I need to call the dentist and make an appointment to have that troublesome tooth reexamined. I may not get in today, but I need to call. Second, I need to pick up a car that is in the shop. Yep, there goes another $500. Third, and perhaps most devastatingly for each of you, I have found ZERO interesting articles in my initial pass through the usual sources. I do have a couple of stories saved from previous days, but I don't want to use them all today. Maybe we'll just make it short and sweet, huh?

So, first is a story about Google making several museums available digitally, so we can visit them for free. For example, here is a view inside the Palace of Versailles. That could be a good way to waste a little time before lunch today.







'





How about learning some new tidbits about The Twilight Zone? I am sure you all know about the classic series from the late 50s into the early 60s. Rod Serling was, of course, the genius behind it. He was not, however, the first pick as narrator. Serling is not only the creator and narrator of the show, he also wrote the script for 94 of the 156 episodes. TZ was also the first to feature an entire black cast for the episode "A Big Tall Wish" during the first season. Sterling wrote the script to prove to audiences that black actors were the same as white actors. Go check out the other things you may or may not already know about one of my favorite TV programs.

Last night, on my way home from choir practice, I needed to swing by the store and pick up something for my lunches. I debated hitting Whole Foods, which is right across the street from the church, but decided that was a little pricey and went to our local grocery store. This morning, I came across an article highlighting that "the grocery chain Whole Foods has had to lower its prices. The company is both planning a lower-priced offshoot chain and lowering prices in its current stores. According to a recent survey of their customers, that effort really isn’t paying off: customers still think that the chain is expensive and not worth the extra cost." So, I am not alone in this. A week ago, I picked up a few items, and walked out $75 poorer. I like the food, but that is just too expensive. Yes, that $75 lasts through 4-5 lunches, but I picked up 3-4 lunches worth last night for only $25. Which would you choose? Exactly.

I did see this story yesterday about a guy in Brooklyn who constructed an igloo near his place and offered it on airbnb. The listing was taken down, but not before all the publicity. Would you have considered it for only $200/night? Would like to visit one of those ice hotels I see advertised in the winter? Both sound a little cold for me, and I don't even warm the house that much.













A few years ago, the family was passing through an area called Alabama Hills, CA. It is near Lone Pines, CA (which is where we stayed for a night). I was drawn there by a photo of an arch showcasing Mt Whitney that I saw at an art exhibit once. We didn't find the photo location I was seeking, but did learn that this was a famous movie location and vowed to return one day. We haven't returned yet, but I came across this photo today and liked its simplicity. You can see his other work here.
























Are you caught up in the hubbub around the election? I am personally worried about which candidates we will end up with. We may end up having to choose between two people, neither of which we want. Anyway, that sort of drove the topic of today's Clarity of Vision.























I stretched it out a bit, but have run out of content for today. You are probably bored anyway, so I will close the book on this chapter of my blog. We did make it to Wonderful Wednesday, so celebrate that. See you soon.

No comments: