Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Paging the Wicked Witch

From today's 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said calendar:
I'm curious about everything. Even subjects that don't interest me.
Alex Trebek, Jeopardy host

When I started creating today's CoV, all I knew was that one character was going to call the other a turkey. I did not know what else anyone would say. The only thing that occurred to me was to work in 'tofurkey' or 'turducken'. Maybe I will use those in a future comic.












I have used this forum before to tout unusual uses for common items. Today, I learned some new things you can do with sandpaper. True, not as many of us have some just laying around crying out plaintively for attention, but if you do, read this. Among the ideas are cleaning grout, scuffing the bottom of dress shoes so they will not be so slippery, a pencil sharpener, and loosening lids in the kitchen.

Speaking of kitchens, I know that all of you have noticed, and perhaps even snarkily commented on, that TV families often all site on three of the four sides of a table, leaving the fourth side open for camera angles. There are some other facts about TV filming sets that I found interesting. In Golden Girls, though, there were only three chairs for the table, even though there were four characters. The same set was used for Lucy and Ricky Ricardo's bedroom and the Mertz' living room. The den on The Addams Family was pink to provide better contrast in black and white. Read the article for a few more fun facts.

I saw some cool barrel cactus at the venue for the Evil Dead the other night.
























I also took a shot of the Necronomicon, the book of the Evil Dead, that was on the stage and used to open the show.
























Go on. Take a fifth grade geography test. I'll wait.

How did you do? I got 8 out of 10 correct.

I'm not saying I am getting old, but I do know about too many of these things my kids might not know about. For example, would they remember that I used to carry a pager all the time? Would they even know what a pager was? A camera where you had to replace the flash bulb after every shot? Disposable cameras in a cardboard cover? A record adapter so you could play 45 rpm records on a 33-1/3 player? There are more. Go reminisce and see which you grew up with.














You want more fun facts? Here are some about The Wizard of Oz. The Tin Man cried chocolate syrup. Dorothy's dress was actually blue and pink. Many of the Wicked Witch's scenes were cut after being deemed too scary. As always, read the article for some more interesting tidbits.
























What's REALLY scary is that we are out of time for today. I'll be back soon, though, with news and facts and photos and frivolity. Make it a Tee-rrific Tuesday.

1 comment:

Keith said...

7 out of 10. But I knew better on one of them. Still, a test is a test, and you beat me. :(