Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Here's Today's Grab Bag of Goodness

Did you hear that Melissa Gilbert is running for Congress in Michigan? If she wins, will she go to work in the Little State House on the Prairie? Get it? Because she was one of the stars of Little House on the Prairie? Ha ha.

Do scorpions scare you? What if they were robotic? OK, it may not be a scorpion, but it moves like one. It is a new electric car charger from Tesla. Watch it plug itself into the car automatically in the video.

There's a dude that blogs with reviews of albums that he likes, Rockasteria. Groups like The Box Tops, Space Opera, Marshall Tucker Band, The Temptations, The Byrds, Lighthouse, Canned Heat, Lovin' Spoonful. Well, you get the message. I don't always agree with him (I am not sure that I ever do) but it is fun to be reminded of some of the old stuff.

When I see old faded signs on the sides of buildings, I always try to decipher all the words in the sign and imagine the sign (and building) in its heyday. Here is one we saw on our trip a couple of weeks ago.
























And right across the street from the sign is the town square. I waited quite a while so I could capture it looking fairly empty. A storm was blowing in, so that helped drive away much of the crowd during this lunchtime.


















And how about a picture of my blushing bride, looking decidedly less blushing than she might have almost four decades ago. She was on her way into the store to get some sweets for my sweet.
























Time Voyage is a book I am reading right now during lunch. It is based in 1963 and it includes a passage about a family Christmas get-together that almost brought tears to my eyes. The family gathered together and the grandfather sat down to read a Bible passage while all the families gathered around him. He began to read from Luke 2. I have strong memories of a scene almost exactly like that, out at Granddaddy Walker's farm. All the families gathered around. All the cousins near my age sitting close to me but separated by family. We would sing and then he would read the Christmas story (not A Christmas Story). Anyway, while the book is OK, that memory is priceless.

Did you hear that Google is splitting into several companies, under the brand of a company they are calling Alphabet?

You all know my penchant for checking out articles with provocative titles. When I saw one entitled "10 Bible Passages That Might Be Totally Bogus", I had to know what verses they referred to and why. Most claims are based on verses that do not exist in every codex and why different groups might have included or excluded some words. What do I think? God brought together this canon of scripture and it is the Word of God.

Did you hear that Melissa Gilbert, the actor from Little House on the Prairie, is running for public office in Michigan?












Wow, work has already intruded into our time, so I need to step away. We can visit again tomorrow. I promise.

1 comment:

Lewis said...

I also remember the Christmas Story readings well and they are some of my favorite childhood memories. I suspect they separated us with adult family members so the adults could "remind us" to keep quiet during the reading.

Sorry for being out of touch. I have been sort of unplugged lately. I am fine and I will send you an update soon.

Lewis