Thursday, August 06, 2015

Happy Anniversary to MBH (well, and to me)

No, not the the U.S. To US! MBH and I have been happily married just shy of 40 years. Yes, to each other, why would you ask such a question?

I came across a blog last night for The Frugalwoods. This couple out of MA is looking to retire in 2017 when they reach the ripe old age of... 33. They are currently saving 71% of their salary to reach their goal, and they want to homestead up in VT when they reach that goal. Would you be that focused to live on $13K a year and save the rest? Based on their job descriptions, I would imagine they are earning north of $300,000. Still, they are certainly dedicated, aren't they?

For some reason, I got distracted last night and forgot to load up any photos. Never fear, though. I had also uploaded some photos from my smartphone on my computer at work. So we will start with my anniversary meal from our recent trip. I think it was Mahi Mahi with a pineapple salsa on a bed of pesto mashed potatoes with grilled asparagus.


















And here is my beloved bride warming up by a fire in the outside bar area of the country club restaurant. No, that is not her bottle on the right side of the fire pit. No, it is not mine, either.
























The next night, we ate at an old favorite restaurant we almost always go to. See if you can guess the name from this shot of the interior of the place.


















While we have been blessed to be married for a while, others, often through no fault of their own, find themselves having to start over. One man decided to travel the world capturing photos from famous movie/TV filming locations. Breaking Bad. Planet of the Apes. Jaws. Mork and Mindy. Does that sound fun? It does to me. He has now driven in all 48 contiguous continental states. How long will he keep doing this? He states, "It’s definitely indefinite."















Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) captures the dark side of the moon illuminated as it crosses the face of Earth. You can see it animated here.






















Do you have any Alzheimer's in your family? Would you be willing to follow a restrictive diet if it could help delay the onset for you? What if they said it 'could' delay cognitive degeneration and not 'will' delay? This MIND diet is similar in structure to DASH and Mediterranean diets. Anyway, a 10-year test of 923 adults showed that those who followed DASH saw a 39 percent drop in risk, those who followed the Mediterranean diet saw a 54 percent drop, and those who adhered to the MIND plan saw a 53 percent decrease in cognitive decline. Read about the diet and this study here.

Did I mention that it is our anniversary? I think I might have.























Anniversary or not, it is a work day. So, I had best get to it. You probably should, too. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!