Thursday, July 16, 2015

Space, Spice and Saints

Who's a genius? Well, I am hoping someone at the Apple Store is because I have an appointment to see one tonight. My Macbook Pro won't boot. That's where all my music is (no, not backed up that recently) and all of my recent photos (also not backed up that recently). Bummer, right? Oh, and my past tax returns are on that machine, and also, as you might guess, not backed up. You would think that I should know better.

And now, a bit of a trick. Which one is the real Pluto? This one? The whole article about New Horizons reaching the dwarf planet can be read on NY Times here.











Or this one?











Well, if you combine them, is it still Pluto?













Well, time for some bacon and eggs. No, wait. Seaweed and eggs, please. Scientists have found that smoking red algae makes it taste like bacon and it is more healthy than kale. So, interested?











Since we are talking about eating things, I wonder if you like some spice in your food? Spiciness is measured in Scoville Heat Units. Banana peppers run 100-900 SHU. Jalapeno can be up to 10,000 SHU. Getting pretty spicy, right? Habanero can get up to 350,000 SHU. Of course, you have heard of the famous ghost pepper, which can reach about 1 million SHU. Is that hot enough for ya? However, the Carolina Reaper reaches 2 million. Watch this video of people trying it. For me, no thinks.

And more eating news broke yesterday when Lay's announced the finalists for the potato chip 'Do Us a Flavor' competition. They were not then ones predicted a week or two ago. Early guesses were for “Thanksgiving Stuffing,” “Sushi,” “Cheeseburger,” and “Truffle Parmesan.” However, the chosen flavors included “Southern Biscuits and Gravy,” “Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro,” “New York Reuben,” and “Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries.” You can read details about them here.

There is NO WAY there can be more food news in today's post. Wrong. It seems smoked gouda is now available in some McDonald's restaurants. This follows the offering of kale. For now, though, it will probably not become my 'go-to' dining choice.

Wait. I ran out of food news and I ran out of time. So, let's run out of here with an almost-humorous comic strip on our minds.












Have a Thankful Thursday and I'll be back soon.

No comments: