Monday, July 20, 2015

Six Points For Finishing Today's Post

I am starting this post on Sunday night using our older machine. My Macbook Pro is, of course, still in the shop. It means that my photos are also off in a shop in TX or TN. It means that my music on my phone cannot be changed until the laptop returns. It means that I am using a web browser last updated in 2010. An operating system last updated in 2007. A 2 GHz speed processor. Oh well.

I really, really needed to work this weekend, but instead chose to spend time with the GRANDS. It really puts me behind at work, but I wouldn't trade the work for time with the grandkids. Actually, we only had the two younger ones, so that was a change. We had the oldest girl a couple of weeks ago. Now, there is one thing that I WOULD trade: 24x7 of Disney Channel and Nickolodeon. I know WAY too many characters on those shows.

I might have shared this before, but I came across it again last week, and it truly is an amazing demonstration of what Excel is capable of. The actual code can be found at the link, but you can see the image below.













Are you biased about anything? You know you are, even if you will not admit it to me or maybe even to yourself. Check out the lede for the article below. Only 1 out of 661 surveyed felt they were more biased than average. That is amazing.

People are more biased than they think, researchers say One person out of 661 responding to a survey said they believe themselves to be more biased than the average person. The researchers who conducted the survey argue that "bias blind spots" should be addressed by HR departments through training and other strategies.

Are you a skeptic or a believer (or even a Belieber)? I am not talking about a teen pop star. I am talking about whether or not people have ever actually visited the moon. I do believe it. So, you can celebrate today, July 20, 1969, as the day the astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon, or as the day a hugely elaborate hoax was concocted.

I don't think I shared this shot of the evening sky from our recent trip up north. I tried for a panorama shot, but it did not catch the top of the clouds. So, instead, here are two shots of a side-by-side scene.





















Here's the puzzler presented to University of Maryland psychology students. They could select to have either 2 points or 6 points added to their final paper grade. However, if more that 10% of the class selects 6 points, no one gets any extra credit. What would you do? The instructor said that, so far, since 2008, only one group has gotten extra credit.

Do you like gladiator movies? Hmm, wrong question. Do you like reading stories about the recording of famous albums? If so, and you like Pink Floyd, you should read this article about recording Dark Side of the Moon. Quite revealing.

September 27, 2015. A day that will live in .... No, it's not really that big of a day, although CBS will be airing a 2-hour series finale for CSI. Grissom WILL be back. Stokes will not. I will be checking it out, though. How about you?

You do NOT need a CSI technician to determine who writes Clarity of Vision. I will admit it.












You also do not need a CSI person to know when the blog post of the day is over. While I may not always call it out, I usually add some salutation that gives you a hint. You know, something like, "Go out and have a Marvelous Monday" or something like that. So, go do it.

No comments: