Wednesday, July 08, 2015

No Bowdlerization Here

I cannot explain it as I have no clue how it happens, but I have two things to start off today's blog post with. The first is the Simon and Garfunkel's 1975 song "My Little Town". The second is the word bowdlerize. I was in the shower this morning and realized I was thinking of the words to My Little Town. More specifically, I was on the verse that goes "In my little town, I grew up believing God keeps his eye on us all...." I don't know why that song came to mind, but I still believe that He keeps His eye on us. Then, I kept trying to remember the other words. Later in the song, Paul Simon sings, "And after it rains. There’s a rainbow, And all of the colors are black. It’s not that the colors aren’t there. It’s just imagination they lack. Everything’s the same Back in my little town." Sad song, to be sure, but he weaves it in a way that fascinates me. By the way, another of the songs he wrote that I like the verbal imagery for is "The Boxer."

I got sidetracked there for a moment. I was in the middle of my mental song earlier today when I thought of the word bowdlerize, which means to censor or something. Wait. Let me find a definition for you. "Remove material that is considered improper or offensive from (a text or account), especially with the result that it becomes weaker or less effective." Well, I was close, although I didn't know about the concept of the original work becoming less effective.

Look at this sentence and tell me your first reaction. "Sometimes called scarification, body-branding has a long and varied history, from Viking warriors who used to burn runes and symbols into their flesh, to branding thieves and criminals, and the colonial slavers who used hot irons to mark people as their own property." Yes, branding one's self is apparently a thing people are choosing to do. I don't even have tattoos. I am not their ideal candidate. Would you be interested? I wouldn't do it because of my own "scare-ification".

Before we continue, let's detour through CoV land.












Would you be interested in a movie featuring Han Solo? I know I would be. We'll both have to wait three years (at least) to see it, though.

Do you like soggy cereal? No? Maybe it's because our ancestors ate crickets. Well, that's what this writer seems to be implying.

Happy Birthday, Ringo Starr.

It turns out that lottery officials have reduced the odds of winning the Powerball, but increased the odds of winning some money. My first question would be, since the odds were already 1 in 175,223,510, does this make you less likely to buy a ticket when the jackpot is high? Probably not, right? My second question would be, do you play anyway? I admit that I think about it, but I have not purchased a ticket in years. I know, I know. "You can't win if you don't play."

Admit it right now. Would you like to have your very own, fully functional replica of Star Trek's famous Communicator? Of course, you would. Who wouldn't? Anyway, it will be a bluetooth device that works with your smartphone and come available next year.















I have mentioned before that, sometimes, I have to read an article just because the lede (the introductory section of a news story that is intended to entice the reader to read the full story) is so compelling. How would react to seeing this lede? Why the Bible Is Not the Word of God. Exactly. I had to see it even though I suspected I would not agree with the author's findings. Sure enough, I did read it and I do not agree. So, now that I shared it, did YOU read it?

Warning in more ways than one. First warning, this next link is on New York Times, which only allows you to read 10 articles per month without paying. Second warning, having a cell phone case shaped like a gun is a REALLY BAD IDEA. So dumb. The photo below is not a video.













Work is calling. No, I mean literally. I just got off a call, so I need to get going. Have a Wonderful Wednesday.

No comments: