Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Look Out! A Flying Manhole!

I felt like playing a bit in Photoshop last night. So, I looked up a couple of techniques, chose photos to use the techniques on, and went to town. When I got back from town, I played with with the photos and came up with these. First is a shot I took in 2010 looking straight upwards into the sky, where I cropped it into a square and increased the contrast between the trees and the sky.
























Then a shot of sunflowers in Flagstaff in 2013 got the darkened background treatment.
















Have you always been fascinated by the stories surrounding Abraham Lincoln's death? I have. Why am I asking you. Today is the 150th anniversary of that dastardly (wicked and cruel) deed. Anyway, yet another book has been released about John Wilkes Booth. This one stays focused on the actor, showing his upbringing and the events that led him to assassinate the President. In fact, he tried multiple times to kidnap Lincoln, but was thwarted each time. Anyway, you might enjoy this review of Fortune's Fool.

OK, all you wannabe Everest climbers. I found a really interesting article showing a number of graphical elements describing the climb up the highest mountain in the world. It describes how high that is compared to other places and buildings in the world. It talks about the final few feet and how long that takes. And the graphical presentation is captivating.

From today's online 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said calendar:
NORBY'S
FREE DOMESTIC PICTURE OF BEER W/ PURCHASE OF ANY BROOKLYN-STYLE PIZZA
- Florida restaurant ad

Did you see this story on Yahoo today?









What captures your attention about this it? Is it that you can actually see something in the air behind the man in the photo? Where do you think my attention was drawn? It is in the headline. A flying manhole? Isn't it a flying manhole COVER, not the manhole itself? If that is a shot of a flying manhole, that is a monumental feat. After all, where does the hole end? If you followed the click above, then you know they actually get it correct in the headline on the article.

And another Yahoo headline photo caught my attention. If you were choosing a photo to represent a sponsored ad on reversing hearing loss, what would you look for? Showing an ear? Yeah, that could work. Anything else? Maybe a face showing the surprise at hearing something? What did they use? A beetle (no, not a Beatle). I attached the photo and headline below.







How far can you drive before you find a restaurant that sells pizza? I would guess it would be only a short distance. How long ago did pizza get really popular in the US? 100 years, maybe? The New York Times published an article in 1944 talking about how the US soldiers were finding a delicious dish in Italy and we should all try it. That was in 1944, so it has not been that long. Let's celebrate that discovery with a slice right now.

Solar panels, anyone? They are getting cheaper, thanks to China, and some companies will even fund them for you in exchange for a monthly fee. Will you go for it?

Sometimes, when I look back at past Clarity of Vision comics, I don't remember the content. Sometimes, i totally remember having written them. Today's is one that I do remember, but it is a clever one and I will share it again.












Time for me to go. Places to go and all that. You remember what today is, right? Terrific Tuesday. Let's all have one.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Thanks for the Mt Everest link! I was exhausted by the time I got to the top!