Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Ten Years of Timeless Fun

Let's hop in the Time Machine Hot Tub (which I have never seen and have no plans to) and go back just about a decade. These are still life shots from a venue in Mesa, AZ, for a family wedding. We will start with a bird bath (and a bird bathing, so avert your eyes if you might be offended).





















And a cake with a whole bunch of candles around.
















And a ubiquitous wedding unity candle.

















And we will wrap today's session with a fountain lit up at night.






















And I found this article about Alton Brown of the Food Network interesting. Here is an extract.
I know you are a born-again Christian, though I don't know if that is a term you use.
Yeah, "born-again" is kind of an odd term because that's like saying a see-through window. But yes, I am a Christian.

How does your faith and religion play into your professional life?
I hope everything. One of the things I pray for on a daily basis is that whatever God wants me to be doing, it's reflected through my actions, how I deal with other people, the way I do my job. And I hope I do it in a way that pleases Him. Like today, I'm in an eleven-hour shoot-day where I'm the writer, the executive producer, the host, and the director. It's a lot of stress. Tempers can flare. Words can be said. So there's one whole level on a day-to-day basis of just trying to act the best one can.


As far as other decisions, my wife runs the company. We try not to make any big decisions about the direction of this company or my career without praying about it. We try to listen to what God says to us pretty hard and we say no to a lot of things because of that. We're not rich and that's because if we don't get a clear feeling for what we ought to be doing, we don't do it. We turn down endorsements. We say no to things. You know, none of this is mine. For some reason I am being trusted with it and I take the stewardship of it really, really seriously.

Do you find the Food Network world and culinary world is an awkward place to bring up your faith?
I'm not a spooky snake handler because I live in Georgia and I'm Christian, that I believe in the Bible, that I travel with the Bible, that I read the Bible everyday. I'm still me. I'm still a guy doing a job. I find, actually, that people ask me a lot about it. I don't hit people over the head with the Bible. I don't speak in tongues. But I will tell you yes, we live in an extremely materialistic society. Food people, I think, tend to be more spiritual, but it is very tough to be in media.


Have you ever heard of the Warren Commission? That was the group tasked with determining if Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in killing President Kennedy in 1963. They found that he did act alone. However, fifty years later, one of the panel is thinking that all the evidence withheld by government agencies casts their verdict in doubt. This is an interesting read.

Have you seen the Lip Sync Battle between Jimmy Fallon, Kevin Hart, and Will Farrell? You need to take time to watch it. It is a lot of fun. Who wins? The clip doesn't say, but I lean towards Will Farrell.

S'mores Oreos, anyone?

I don't feel that much better yet, but I am hopeful these new medications will get me past this bronchitis. The Urgent Care place I went to on Sunday also offers medication for about $15 each, so I went ahead and got it there. Could I have found it cheaper? Maybe, but the convenience was hard to beat.












What do you think of when I say 'nacho cheese'? Is it Velveeta? Cheddar? A blend of romano and parmesan? Some unknown blend with weird added orange color? Well, Consumerist finds it is whatever the manufacturer wants to make it from.

I see by the old clock on the wall that it needs a new battery or something. However, the time displayed on my monitor says we both need to get Tuesday underway, so you go your way (or is it you go to Uruguay) and I'll go mine. Let's share some more fun soon, OK?

No comments: