Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Still Killing a Mockingbird?

In case you are wondering (and even if you are not), I did go to Chorale practice last night. I tried to sing some, but kept coughing a lot, so I mostly 'audited' the practice and kept up with some new songs the director has added.

By the time I got home, I did not take the time to look for new photos to share (or rather, look for old photos to share, but you knew what I meant). So today, we will look at the photos for January in my annual Ouray calendar. First up is an ice climber in the January ice climbing event there in town. I have never attended, although the folks have. I happens in a small canyon over near the entrance to Box Canyon, if you are thinking to add that to your bucket list for next year.
















And then, there is a view of Ouray from above Box Canyon Falls.

















Did you hear that too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'? Whoo hoo. I fit into one of those categories.

Are you a mayo kind of person, or are you more into mustard? Or even vegenaise? Anyway, there is apparently a difference in the texture and taste of Hellmann's Mayonnaise. Have you noticed it? It seems that a lot of people have. I wouldn't know, as I fall into the mustard camp.

Hmm. Did you read To Kill a Mockingbird? I confess that I did not. I did see the movie years ago with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. Now, they are set to publish the author's second novel which was actually written earlier, Go Set a Watchman. It is the story of Scout returning to see her father, Atticus. I imagine that I am as likely to read that as I did the earlier novel. Still, there is some controversy about it.

Speaking of controversy, and I was above, how about this measles outbreak apparently being caused by people not getting vaccinated against the disease as a child?












Did you hear that the current US unemployment rate is 5.6%? Sounds pretty good, right? Not so fast, says the CEO of Gallup. You should read his comments to see who is NOT counted as unemployed. Here is one example. '[If] you perform a minimum of one hour of work in a week and are paid at least $20 -- maybe someone pays you to mow their lawn -- you're not officially counted as unemployed in the much-reported 5.6%'

Do you still drink milk? Would you pay more for a 'healthier' version? Stephen Colbert said this about it, "It's like they got Frankenstein to lactate". Coke is certainly betting that you will want it. It is lactose-free, if you are worried about that.

Is the flap about the deflated footballs over? I haven't heard anything substantive in the last few days. There is a new uproar about the Falcons piping in crowd noise when the opposing team is on offense. Does that seem as bad? I confess that it does not to me.

Perhaps the only thing better than hearing Neil Young sing (such a distinctive voice, right?) is hearing TWO Neil Youngs...at the same time. That can only happen when Jimmy Fallon joins Neil on The Tonight Show.

We will let their version of Neil's classic Old Man be today's ending topic. As you know, it is Wonderful Wednesday, so go and make it so.

No comments: